Friday, June 1, 2007

Special Thanks

I can withstand my own suffering. But I cannot withstand seeing others suffer.

And when illness strikes so close to home, a spouse, a loved-one, a family member, a close friend, it is as if any pain they may feel also certainly becomes your own.

I think of the story of Cain and Abel often throughout my life. After Cain had murdered his brother, God comes to him and asks about Abel's whereabouts. Cain replies "Am I my brother's keeper?"

God did not answer Cain. Why? Well I think that's what the rest of the Bible goes on to answer. Of course, we're all our brother's keepers, and it's our calling as children of God. Our lives do extend beyond ourselves.

I've certainly experienced such kindness through the past months. Certainly I've had many "keepers." Certainly no one has ever asked "Am I Jim's keeper?"

I feel terrible about what a burden I have been at times. It's so much easier for me to give than to receive. But I've learned so much about compassion and giving through the great generosity of others. It's made me a more compassionate and giving person.

There's so many people to thank though all of this. But I really do owe a special thank you to my wife Barbara.

Not only has she felt everything I've felt, endured all that I've endured, but she has been a rock of support and positive energies. She's managed to keep everything moving, keep the house going, life going. She's organized transportation. She's wrestled with doctor's offices, insurance companies. She's been my nurse. She's been my nutritionist. She makes sure I'm taking all the medications I have to and when I have to. She's been my everything.

She's been my angel.

Thank you honey! I love you! So much! Forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your outlook on life, and the possibility of an untimely death... Your words should be plastered all over every billboard in the world. Please know that my prayers are with you both - I know first hand the impact they can truly have. Stay strong, positive (which you are) and know that there are many who love you and are praying for you...

Penny Bovell said...

Barb & Jim,

I first want to mention how embarrassed I am that I did not realize how serious Jim's condition really is. If so I would have contacted you sooner. I will keep you both in my prayers from this point foward each and every day. It seems funny in one of your postings one of you mention how to live each day.

I have been studying and reading material on Spirituality, and what makes GOD truley happy. And it is so simple:, live each day to its fullest, love and help one another in anyway possible, even the "little things" mean a great deal. And when you lay your head down at night you can be proud of the ways you toched or helped somebody that day.



I am very pleased you started this blog knowing that I can keep up with what is going on. Barb, we miss your dearly, but would not want you to be any other place but by Jims side. Jim, you are a very lucky man to have someone like Barb as a wife. God gave you an angel.

Please , Please contat me if there is anything at all that will help make things a little easier on you. Again, I beg you let me know if there is anything at all I can do, Even if its the smallest of things - anything.

I will be following Jim's condition and keep you in my prayers.

Love,

Penny Bovell

Love,

Penny