Sunday, June 24, 2007

Not Something You See Everyday




Click on photo to view larger image.
We wanted to share this rare photograph of Alice Albert handling live fish. There are some things you will only get one chance to see. This is one of them. But she does look happy, doesn't she?

We are pretty sure Peter Putnam (at left) is responsible for this catch, and most likely cleaning and cooking.

Beautiful Sunday in Pennsylvania, we should probably be out with the camera or down by the river - but we're watching the Phillies and yelling at the TV whenever they make mistakes (as a good Philadelphia fan would do).

Barb surprised me with a case (yes I said a case) of Drake's Cherry Pies it's not the most healthy snack. But it is one thing I know I can always eat. In the meantime, we continue to try and expand my diet.

The fatigue symptons continue to improve. The appetite is slowly getting better (I ate a whole turkey sub). I predict in one more week, Barb will not be able to beat me in arm wrestling. So enjoy it while it lasts Barbie girl, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, my own kids have no faith in me -- I did catch those fish albeit in the neighbor's lake. Rhea, Peter and I did go out that day and I was the only one who did catch any fish -- it might have been my perfume. It seems like yesterday and until I saw the pictures, I probably would not have given it a 2nd thought. However, I did draw the line on cleaning them -- a job that is better left for the men. I remember that Martha and I did prepare them and the men cooked them on the grill. Very tasty -- nothing like fresh lake fish to make your appetite perk up. I always try to get my fill of lake perch when I go back to Mich -- they are so good. These fish were bass and just as tasty. How I could use a bite or two right now.

I also went through some of my mother's boxes yesterday and my brain is alive with many many memories of times in Mich and Canada. I hope I still have time left in my life to make that awesome journey "up north" to God's country again. I never appreciated it growing up when my mother forced me to take that annual trek to the hinderlands. Invariably I got sick on the boat crossing the Georgian Bay (a 2 hour ride on the calmest of waters). Some things never change. I have yet to spend any time out on deck and enjoying the ride. My time is better spent in the ladies room -- no matter what medicine I take to prevent it. Still, I am a glutten for punishment because I enjoy getting off at Manatoullin Island and going N.E. from there. We head due east then to Sault Ste Marie Mich and always stop in Charlevoix at the Weathervane for scumptious fish dinners right on the lake. It was a great trip through nostalgia. She has pictures of relatives way back into the early 1800's and all of them are marked with names, dates, etc. It was a facinating day well spent.

Jimmy's picture of Peter and me was just one more time to take the magic trip to yesterday. How fast time does fly.

I am still in awe of Jimmy's courage and Barb's too. He has yet another hurdle to cross with this upcoming bronchoscopy so I will continue to pray hard for a very good outcome. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

PS
charlevoix is in Mich and from there we head south to Detroit with lots of fish, Sanders chocolate and Verner's gingerale to keep me eager to continue the trip. I have come full circle in my ability to appreciate the wonder and beauty or my ancester's homeland for many generations. I also did get the chance to take my mother on that marvelous trip several times after my dad passed away. I know that she really enjoyed it.