Monday, June 4, 2007

A Different Kind of Sunburn

You can see the red "sunburn" line that circles around my head now. It's the radiation burns, marking the orbit around my head that has been receiving daily doses of radiation for the past three weeks.

The skin is starting to dry out and peel a bit, and the ears especially are dried out and sore.

But the end of radiation treatments is in sight now, only three more to go! It will end on Thursday and then I'll begin the healing process to regain strength and energy again.

It's difficult to describe the feelings and effects of going through something like this. It is certainly the most grueling and testing weeks I've endured in my life (but then I've always had it pretty easy).

My appetite is gone. I really can't taste anything except for sweets. I'm not sure why the taste for sweet was spared, nor are the doctors and nurses. But I'll take it. It still allows me to enjoy a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, and that's what I'm pouring in myself.

We've tried a lot of dishes the past week that just haven't worked out well for me. So if anyone's hungry, stop on over, we've got a lot of leftovers. LOL

Overall fatique continues to be the main side effect from the radiation. I'm napping a lot, just trying to listen to what my body tells me to do. It will be some rest and recovery into June. Then we'll see what we can do to knock this cancer down.

And a big thank you to everyone who's been getting me back and forth to treatments. How fortunate of a guy I am!!!

No comments: