Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rebirth

When I was young the elders of my church would speak a lot about the idea of being "born again."

I have to admit that I never fully grasped this concept. Primarily the notion that each of us would be "born again."

For me, always believing in the concepts of God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the resurrection and forgiveness of sins, my faith was something I grew up with, it was a part of me, and something that I firmly believed in. That had never changed throughout my life. My faith was always very strong. So how could I be "born again?"

Life is funny.

My cancer diagnosis never altered my personal faith. But the support and love expressed so graciously from so many around me altered my view of faith.

I've always been a quiet, private individual. And in my faith I've always been quite private as well. In a lot of ways I just respected others enough not to impose my faith-based concepts on others. I did not want to offend anyone.

But seeing the support from so many these past months has shown me a whole other aspect of faith that I have been missing - the ideas of brotherhood, fellowship, and benevolance. The idea that a great aspect of our faith is not just personal, but shared. The idea that a great aspect of our faith is not just in keeping good care of ourselves, but keeping good care of all our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

To this extent, now, I have been "born again." I finally understand the significance and value of the brotherhood of the church family, and now pursue to be a part of it rather than to shy away.

And as soon as my strength and health improves my mission will be to extend the kindness that has been extended to me ten-fold.

Thank you to everyone, in all the church families, that have taught me so much, shown me such patience, and extended such love.

No comments: