Thursday, June 7, 2007

See 'Ya Later Radiation




Today is the last day of radiation treatments. It's been a long month of treatments and I won't miss them one little bit.

The treatments only last for 5 minutes every day. But the effects are cumulative over the month's time. And by today, the last day of treatment, it leaves me worn, weary, and feeling like a truck has run over me.

There is a big bell in the lobby, just outside the treatment rooms. I believe on the last day of treatments they invite you to ring the heck out of the bell to celebrate. I don't believe I'll ring that bell, out of respect to all the other patients who are just starting, or in mid-stride, of their treatments. They need peace - not bells. I know.

But I'll be ringing that bell inside of me! This has been the toughest thing I've ever had to endure - and I'm someone who has had to have a kidney removed. I'd wish these past 30-days on no one.

But it's important to note that I am still very positive. And when I say positive, I'm not necessarily concerned with all the health issues, whether this cancer will go into remission or continue to grow. What God has in store for me I will accept, and all of those health issues are really things that I cannot control.

But I am positive and grateful, believe it or not, for all the experiences of the past few months, and all the opportunities it has provided me for growth and learning.

I used to get so caught up in work and my daily grind that I rarely stopped to really appreciate all the beautiful, yet simple, things around me. Something like cancer can really deconstruct your life and help you focus on all the beautiful, simple things that have always been around you, yet you were too "busy" to notice.

Every flower in our backyard is more colorful. Freckles the cat is even funnier stalking the squirrels from the back screen door. The blue jays are more vivid scouring our gutters for nest building materials.

The kindness of people is more appreciated and more recognized now. I've somehow now become a person who hugs other people. Can you believe that? Me of all people? Hugging? It's true.

There are a lot of people who may take the perspective of "Why me? It's not fair! How could I get cancer?" And I won't try to kid you, I've had my brief moments.

But really, the majority of the time, I do focus on how this has made me grow into a better person, a stronger person, a wiser person. As a friend of mine, who also has battled two separate primary cancers reminded me..."that that doesn't kill us will just make us stronger."

And it's true.

But then I AM just a big goofball.

See 'ya later radiation! Today is the last day of treatments. I WON'T miss 'ya.

1 comment:

Aimee Sullivan said...

Hi Jimmy,

I’ve never actually met you, so let me introduce myself . . .my name is Aimee Sullivan. I went to Paris with your mom a couple of times - some of my best memories were there with her and my mom, JoAnn Plouff. I just love your mom and dad. They used to come to Michigan a lot when I was growing up, to visit and to get Vernors, Sanders Hot Fudge, Better Maid Potato Chips and I think Faygo pop too, right mom? (she’s been reading your blog faithfully too!! :) ) We also visited your mom and dad when I was in high school to take my french foreign exchange student to Hershey Park. So anyway, your parents hold a special place in my heart!!

Your mom forwarded me your blog link and I’ve been silently following your ups and downs with this whole cancer situation. I also have cancer. I was 30 when I was diagnosed in May 2004 with breast cancer. I went through several surgeries, chemotherapy, etc and was healing good when it came back again 1 year and ½ later in December 2005. It had spread to my bones and I had a tumor in my sachram (sp?) – my lower back. I went through chemo all over again, and this time radiation too. So I can relate to the radiation sunburn, metal taste, bald head. I never knew how big my ears were until I had a bald head – definitely inherited from my dad :) Anyway, Tim and the kids (Devin 6 and Kaitlynn 5 ) shaved my head this past time around and we had fun with it– Kids loved it!! I think a good sense of humor really helps. . .like they say “Laughter is the best medicine” :) What else can you do, you know? You get through. One day at a time, you get through. You deal with what you’re dealt. Anyway, after reading your blog - I had to write you and let you know how inspired I am by you. Your positivity, your humor, your great attitude – It’s awesome. You and Barbara are the best writers!! Right away, I told my husband “you gotta read this – how awesome is this”. He has been my angel, like Barbara for you. He took care of me when I couldn’t take care of myself. He was there through the thick and thin – the best support ever. I think that is the key - to have a good support line. I was very blessed too to have such a wonderful husband and family and friends.

This whole experience has been a huge eye-opener. I too am truly amazed in the beauty around me and really can appreciate the little things in life now too.

You've inspired me to check out this blog stuff and maybe create my own!! What a good way to get things out and to share.

Anyway – I just had to write to let you know you’ve been in my thoughts and prayers for a long time and I’m glad to be able to read that you are doing good, keeping strong and staying positive!!

Sincerely,

Aimee Sullivan