Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Smaller Truck




This is definitely my favorite picture of Alyssa and I. It seems to capture both of our spirits when we're together...me a bit mischevious, and Alyssa borderline upset, while still holding back a laugh. LOL

I'm definitely feeling better this week than last. But then last week was, well, pretty rough. I think the best way to sum it up is that this week I still feel like I've been run over by a truck, just a smaller truck, maybe a pick-up truck, while last week was more like a tractor-trailer.

It's going to take awhile. I've read one testimonial through the American Cancer Society's web site where one woman discussed her radiation experiences and spoke of how she felt it took an entire year for a body chemistry to return to normal.

The radiation treatment is certainly an odd thing to experience. As my senses have returned these past few days I've begun to ask Barbara what that odd smell was. It's turn out to be me! As dead skin peels off from the treated areas it is like nothing I've ever seen before, blue in hue, and odd in texture and smell.

I continue to see signs of improvement. It is often times two steps forward and one step back - but I expected that. I'll keep working on pulling it back together with all of your wonderful continued help and understanding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kept telling you kids as we were raising you that you didn't come with instructions and as parents we just had to wing it. Sometimes, we made mistakes and sometimes we scored. The intelligence, insight and faith with which you have handled all the curve balls that have been thrown to you this year has made me very proud to be your mother. You must know by now that I would move Heaven and Earth to get you well and my prayer is that you and Barb have a long future in which to enjoy your home and your life together.

There is a scene in MASH where Hawkeye's patient goes bad on the table. He literally screams at the patient "Come on -- don't let the bastard (meaning death) win" Hawkeye's patient didn't make it but I am now the one screaming "don't let the bastard (meaning cancer) win. Together with all our love and the prayers of all our friends and family, we will win. I feel that the presence of Christ in our lives is now leading us to the right doctors and medicines to endure this fight and we won't let the bastard (meaning cancer) win.

Love to both of You -- MOM