Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Two Cool Teal Armbands

I had to have some bloodwork done yesterday. I'm in there so often they all know me well.

Barb joined me, which I always greatly appreciate. We had to pick up a 20-pound bag of food for Freckles. Whew! I think we could get 20-pounds of ground beef for less. For a cat that sleeps around and has a bad reputation, he sure is one spoiled cat.

I've worked out a gameplan over the years to get my bloodwork done as quickly as possible. I need to go around 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. In the early morning there are many people seeking bloodwork before they go to work. Around lunch time there are many people trying to get their bloodwork done during their lunch break, and worse yet the nurses start rotating into their lunch breaks so it can get pretty backed up. Mid-morning is the best time I've concluded, and yesterday things did go pretty fast.

When we're waiting Barb and I do crossword puzzles. We purposely get pretty easy crosswords to make us feel smart. (smile) We had gotten through about half a crossword when I was called back.

A young African-American gal welcomed me and introduced herself. She was a new nurse at the center. I hadn't met her before.

She introduced herself and asked me if I would mind her taking my blood because she is a student.

I didn't mind. If this was surgery I'm sure I would have protested. But this is just a needle in a vein and a little of my blood in a vile. I'm all for helping learning of any kind.

She studied my left arm hard, found a spot she liked and rubbed it with alcohol. She got her stuff together and went for it. I noticed one of the experienced nurses come over to look over her shoulder.

I've done this so many times I can almost always tell when someone got the vein, and when someone missed. She missed. She started digging around a little bit. That never works, either you hit it or you don't.

The experienced nurse offered to step-in and help. She recommended pulling the needle back out, saying that the vein was "blown out."

The student nurse looked sad, disappointed in herself. I tried to console her.

I told her that I remember when the nurse who stepped in to help just started and she missed more than hit. She was terrible. Now she's a pro. She's a rockstar! She is so smooth and gets me everytime on the first try and I often don't feel a thing. I told the student nurse to hang in there, keep practicing, let her know that she'll get it. I tried to reassure her.

The experienced nurse switched over to my right arm, and as expected was a real pro about it, smooth, in and out, barely felt a thing. I used to tell Barb about her and how bad she was. She would leave bruises all over my arms until she would finally get me. Now she never misses. She never even leaves a mark.

She fixed me up with a little gauze and this funky, flexible teal colored tape. We exchanged small talk.

I said, "If I don't see you before I hope you have great holidays."

She quickly turned and said "I hope you have a Merry Christmas."

I smiled and added "I hope you have a Merry Christmas too!" I knew she was a gal of strong Christian faith. We had discussed it before. She obviously didn't want anything to do with a politically correct holiday. She wanted a day to remember the birth of God's son, our savior. That works for me.

I took a look at my teal armbands wrapped around both my arms, around the elbow. They were a little tight, but looked kind of cool. I felt like I was the third-string quarterback for the Miami Dolphins or something.

I dressed back up in my 12-layers of clothing (I do not like this cold weather). Then I pulled Barb away from the crossword puzzle and we jumped in the FJ and drove back home.

Two seconds in the door I asked Barb to cut off my teal armbands which she kindly did.

No comments: