Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Freckles Claus

Barb had bought Freckles a Christmas present. It was a strange purple thing. It kind of looked like a squid or an octopus.

For the past week we converted our dining table into a gift wrapping station. Freckles' present was in a plastic bag, in one of those hard plastic molded packages that are impossible to open. Everything was right there at the wrapping station. Our wrapping has been very productive this year.

Quick wrapping is crucial with Barb and I in such close quarters. I would have it any other way. I love hanging out with Barbie. But it can create challenges in trying to keep gifts secret. So as soon as the packages come in the door, I've been wrapping them.

Yesterday I woke up first and made a pot of coffee for Barb, and fed Freckles. I could tell that Freckles was a bit distracted and I was afraid he had gotten sick somewhere. He's pretty good at bringing our attention to these kind of things. It's not a great way to have to start the day, cleaning up after Freckles.

Through my sleepy eyes I could tell that Freckles had made a mess. But I had to squint and try to look closer. This wasn't a normal Freckles' mess.

I could tell that Freckles had been into the gift wrapping station. There was wrapping paper, bows, and stuff, all over the place.

Right away I said to myself, "I'm going to save this one for Barb."

Not long after Barb stumbled down the steps on a beeline towards the fresh pot of coffee.

I said to her, "You might want to take a peek on the other side and see what Freckles did."

She gave out a groan, expecting a random display of cat vomit. But it wasn't Freckles' normal mess at all.

Freckles had found his Christmas present and was doing everything he could to get to it. There was shredded paper and garbage everywhere.

"You think I should just give it to him?" Barb asked.

"I think it would be cruel not to," I answered laughing.

The strange purple toy was filled with cat nip. Freckles has not stopped playing with it sense. He's going nuts over this thing! I'm watching him play with it right now. I can't remember seeing him this excited. That must be some strong cat nip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe that stuff is still legal.

RL mom