Wednesday, December 2, 2009

No News is Good News

Woohoo! I didn't receive news yesterday that anyone had to head to any medical facility to meet with any nurses or doctors. That's a nice change of pace.

I've been feeling a little bit stronger each and every day. There's still a long way to go. But at least I'm heading in the right direction.

The girls (Barb, Alyssa, Susan and Debbie) are getting together today to run around and do a little shopping. Barb keeps asking me if I'm OK with that. I'm great with that!

I needed a "drug holiday," and I'm certain that Barb could use a "Jim holiday." Actually I think it will give Barb great joy to be able to hang out with the girls in the family for a bit. They're quite a bunch. I'm thrilled that they'll be able to do this, absolutely thrilled.

I am "shopping challenged." I'm probably not doing a good job supporting the local merchants since I order everything (EVERYTHING) on the internet. But shopping just doesn't go well with me.

Perhaps its all the women's clothing stores and departments I was drug through by my Mom when I was growing up. Perhaps it was the fact that I only ever felt I needed jeans and t-shirts to get by. Afterall if I was shopping for a lawn tractor, I don't think I'd really mind that.

Everyone who knows my Mom knows that she has a serious shopping habit. It's no big secret. Everyone knows it. Now that she's retired and has a fixed income her shopping habit has caused me some worry and stress. Can she change? How do you change something that you've been doing for more than 50-years? It can't be easy.

Life is a constant evolution. We might not always be thrilled about those changes. But those changes they will come. I wasn't thrilled about the changes that cancer brought to my life, but the directions I had to take seemed quite obvious to me. I made the most with what I had, no matter the circumstance. Trying to force things against the current was useless. Sitting around in my own pity seemed even more useless. We have to examine how our lives' change and just roll with it, making the appropriate choices to still find happiness in everyday of our lives.

Someone recently told me that I have a "butterflys flying out of my butt attitude." Well that sounds a lot better than bees! lol Especially if the choice is mine!

No comments: