Saturday, December 12, 2009

Back and Blogging

I woke up yesterday and there were weird lights bouncing all over the bedroom, coming from the TV. At first I thought I was somehow in the movie "Poltergiest."

But I quickly shook that thought off, pinched myself to make sure I wasn't still alseep, and wondered downstairs.

First thing in the morning, every day, I make my wife a pot of coffee and feed Freckles. The day starts off at its best when the coffee maker can be pulled squeaky clean from the dishwaser and I don't have to clean it up while I'm still half-a-sleep. Also I like to see Freckles dish empty or nearly empty just to see that he's eating well.

Well Friday morning the coffee maker was sitting on the counter with yesterday's coffee and grounds, plus Freckles had gotten sick in three different places in the kitchen.

He's OK. It just looked like he ate a little too much. Or perhaps he ate another spider. Yes, a spider, I've caught him snackin' on a couple over time.

So it wasn't my favorite start to a day on Friday. But I set up Barbie with her coffee. I set up Freckles with his food and water. And I hit my recliner with a glass of ice water in hand.

I turned on the TV and there it was, poltergiest again. I checked a few channels, flicked around, and it wasn't right all over. I checked the internet and at best I had a real shaky connection. I checked the phone and we had no dial tone, and then we did, and then we didn't.

No biggie, I thought to myself, we can live Amish for awhile. I don't mind that at all.

Barb called Comcast she woke up and got a cup of coffee in her. After she waited about 30-minutes to talk to a live person that person told her they'd be out to look at it somewhere between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. That's not too bad, I used to remember when they would tell me anytime between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

About 9:30 a.m. things around the house started working again. Evidently the strong winds we had the night before knocked something a little loose and more people than just us were experiencing "data loss" and "service interruption."

But I was already into my daily schedule of activities and the time I usually set aside to try to blog something intelligent (or silly) had passed. So, sorry I couldn't update on Thursday's visit with my oncologist.

I thought this would be a fairly predictable meeting, and for once it actually was.

The doctor had no problems with my "drug holiday" from Interferon. Well actually he was the one who originally suggested it. Being away from Interferon has definitely made me feel better, slowly and surely better. He also suggested that we consider going back to Interferon on a lower dosage, either half a dose three times a week, or a full dose once a week.

Barb and I had already discussed this and we're going to go back to the Interferon once a week for a full dose. The doctor added that consistency wasn't in taking this drug wasn't as important as it is with typical chemo. So if I wanted to just take off again over Christmas week, that would be fine.

He gave me a full physical exam as he always does. He said I checked out good. He didn't see any problems. All of my blood tests were strong, and one result was even up a little. He said that he thought at the least that I was "stable."

So I'm still dealing with some pains, but they all seem to keep getting consistently better. Next week we'll start the lower dosage of Interferon and we'll see where things go from there. It's always an adventure!

Thanks for all the continued love and support. Believe me, I feel it!

I always thought that there were some pretty messed up people in this world (after all that's what we see on the news everyday). But my sickness has taught me that there are much, much, much more wonderful people in this world. Thank you!

No comments: