Monday, December 21, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

It's kind of hard for me to do things on the spur of the moment. I never really know how I'm going to feel from morning to morning. The more I more I know about something ahead of time, the more I can get ready and plan for it.

You know, for me it's about the right mix of drugs at the right times, the right amount of naps also at the right times. I'm a pain in the butt. If I need to do something on the spur of the moment, well chances are it won't go real well.

The Albert family Christmas WAS planned for yesterday in plenty of time. I was ready! Or so I thought...

By the time we went to bed Saturday night there was already 10-inches of snow on the ground, a record for December snow in Lancaster County. In York County a snow emergency was declared and the only vehicles seen on the streets were snow mobiles.

Driving any distance at all has been tough on me lately. I can drive errands around town or neighboring towns. But for some reason, traveling any distance creates a lot of pain for me, although I do think that it's getting better.

So Alyssa and Charlie kindly agreed to drive Barb and I to Myerstown on Sunday. But they hadn't signed up to drive through a foot of snow.

Barb and I discussed the situation Saturday night, staring out the window at the endless snow, and we concluded that we'd make the final call on Sunday morning.

By the time we woke up the official word for this area was 10- to 16-inches. We decided that we would stay home. It just wasn't worth risking anyone's neck over. Barb spread the word, and now content with this decision, I went for a nap.

When I woke up from the nap Barb was talking to her Mom, and her husband Bill felt very confident that he and their Buick could handle the roads just fine.

Now this was different. I wasn't going to pressure anyone to drive through this mess. But I've been told that he enjoys it. And I already know that he's a good driver.

I called my Mom and told her that we were planning on making the trip and may be a little late. Barb called the kids, but they had already committed themselves to not going.

So had we! So we whipped ourselves together, jumped in the Buick, and headed for Myerstown. "Over the river and through the woods..."

We stayed on main roads and it really wasn't all that bad. With my Dad being home now it was really nice to have everyone together!

And a BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC THANK YOU to Barbie's Mom and Dad for making it all possible!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our thanks as well to Barb's parents for driving you over here even though the snow could have caused some challenges along the way. It was soooo good to have Jimmy and Barb here for our Christmas because they had to miss Thanksgiving and I was somewhat sad that they might have to miss Christmas with everybody here. Paul and I really enjoyed it. He is still talking about it today. We always enjoy Barb's parents. They are very special to us as well. We would have loved to see Charlie and Alyssa but understand their situation with the snow. We will try to get together sometime very soon -- I have Sanders chocolate fudge sauce for Charlie. He's a picky eater but he does love the Sanders.
Our best wishes to all for a very wonderful Christmas and a New Year filled with blessings and miracles. Love MOM and DAD

Anonymous said...

I could tell you a good story about the time Bill took me to Aunt Pauline's farm on one of the biggest snow storms of the century. He was probably only 16, I can't remember, but I do know that I was not frightened at all. He is a 'good driver" and a wonderful husband.

Anonymous said...

It sure was great to see everyone together yesterday. I agree a HUGE thanks to Bill and Susan for braving the elements to bring you and Barb to Myerstown. Heather was SO excited to see everyone. She was especially excited because, "Pa was living at home and not at the hospital!"

Heather played most of the evening with the Glo Doodle. You guys always pick the best gifts for her. She plays with them for hours.

Alice's cooking was AWESOME. I think it was the BEST Boozie Chicken,althought I limited how much I ate because I was driving, not an easy task. Paul ate a lot of food, was in good spirits and enjoyed having everyone around to celebrate.

Karen, Heather and I want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Jamie

Anonymous said...

Oh I should clear something up. I just read my comment - Bill is certainly a good driver, but he is not my husband, he is my brother!
Sorry for any confusion, another senior moment! Aunt Brenda!

Jim Albert said...

It was great to be able to get everyone together!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb and Jim, I had lost your blog and now I'm back. Susie and Bill are the greatest. I know they would go to the end of the earth to help you guys. Your both so special to them. We have been friends for a long time and I am glad to hear good things about your family. Merry Christmas, April