Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Brrrrr

Some people don't mind this cold weather. Some even like it! Weirdos!

My body has never liked cold weather. I just run from one warm place to another, shivering and complaining along the way.

It's just been me. It's just been my body. I don't like it.

We've all seen guys out in this stuff in short-sleeve shirts. They're usually big bears though, with more body mass and more body hair than me.

It's in the 20s here this morning. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

So why am I here?

Well I considered flying south, and staying south many years ago. But I concluded that this is my home, and always will be my home. My family is here. I have friends here. I have many business contacts here. Here...I am established. Besides the cold weather a few months each year, this is where I am happy. This is home.

We don't have earthquakes here, or wild fires, or mud slides, or hurricanes. It's pretty mellow.

We have a lot of neat history here too. I love to drive Pennsylvania back roads. They were built before automobiles so many simply follow property lines between corn fields. You can be driving along and "whoop" all of a sudden there is a 90-degree turn.

There are certainly some beautiful areas of Florida but the state grew so fast that most of it seems like highways connecting housing complexes and industrial parks. There just isn't enough character or history.

But there is sunshine. There is warmth. I would love to be there now. The weather dude on TV just said that it might reach the 30s today...might? Ouch. If I open the front door my sinuses will let loose. You might want to invest in Kleenex the next couple of months.

(sniff)

It's home though. I'll just hunker down, stay warm, and wait to hear that Spring training has started in Florida.

No comments: