Monday, December 7, 2009

Life of a Sneaker

When I was in high school I would not wear anything but the Nike sneaker to play basketball. It was the best sneaker around. There was a great story behind the company. I supported them fully. Before every season I asked my Mom a new pair of Nikes. It wasn't a problem then, they didn't cost $100 a pair. Actually I think they were around $20 a pair.

Nike had an interesting history. Started by two friends in Beaverton, Oregon, they first imported and resold sneakers made in Japan. Then one of the young partners poured melted rubber into a waffle iron and invented the first Nike sneaker.

I thought it was interesting to learn that the owners of Nike paid a local grahic artist $35 to a student at Portland State University to design the "swoosh" logo. Years later, after experiencing much success they through a luncheon in her honor and presented her with an unknown amount of company stock.

I liked the idea of an American sneaker on my foot. I was definitely a loyal customer.

But things went downhill.

A buzz developed around the Oregon factory that the workers were planning on starting a union.

The Nike owners immediately started a plant in South Korea and closed down the Oregon plant as soon as the new one was ready.

Then a few years later the government of South Korea passed a law allowing workers to form unions. Nike didn't wait for that to happen. They built a factory in some third-world location. I think it was Indonesia, and they moved again.

Now I always pronounced Nike exactly as it is spelled. I mean after all, how do you pronounce "bike." You don't say "bikey" do you?

Nike discovered fame and popularity, and they discovered sponsorhip, giving famous atheletes millions to promote their brand. It wasn't about the quality of the product anymore. It was now about branding, marketing, and making millions and millions.

I was gone. The only sneaker I would once buy was now the last sneaker on Earth that I would touch.

I think I did have a warning as a senior in high school that I should have paid more attention to.

We had a HUGE basketball playoff game at Lebanon High School. I forgot my sneakers. Someone was given a key to our house and sent running to Myerstown to try to retrieve my Nike sneakers. In the meantime the school had dug up a pair of high-top, canvas, Converse All-Stars. You know, at that time it was a very old-fashion style sneaker.

I played in the canvas sneakers. I had one of my best games of the season.

I should have known then. It was a sign. (smile)

No comments: