Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Present and Past

To all of those who haven't even begun buying presents for Christmas, I am sorry. I am truly sorry. I know how you feel.

But I just finished all of my shopping this morning. DONE!

I used to be really terrible at this stuff. Being in a mall on the day before Christmas, fighting the crowds, mainly other single young men.

I remember one-year the mall was so full I just went to the emptiest place and bought an $80 wallet for my Dad, which was way overpriced and he didn't like it since he broke in his existing wallet perfectly over the past 20-years. It was already formed to the shape of his butt perfectly.

But at least I got away from the zoo and was covered on my presents.

I'm somewhat known for giving zulu masks from Africa, or something fairly original. I'm just bad at this stuff.

But two things have come along through the years to take me from a miserable Santa Claus to a respectable one - first the internet, and then Barb.

The internet became amazing. I could shop from my recliner! No traffic jams to fight through, no crowds, no crazy people - I became one of the earliest shoppers on the internet. With the ability to relax and browse without a kid barfing on my shoe made a huge difference to me.

The second thing that made me a stronger shopper was Barb. She's added so much to my life in so many way.

Like yesterday she asked me if I knew how much I've spent on Christmas.

Hmmm. It's a good question. "I don't know exactly," I replied.

I got "the face," but with a chuckle at the end.

"Do you know what's in your checkbook?" she added.

Laughing, I said, "I don't have any idea."

She straightened me out from there. I know everything now.

Barb offers me organization, structure. My shopping wouldn't be done this early without her. And I know exactly what I have in my checkbook too. Woohoo!

Oops. Sorry to all you guys who haven't started yet.

No comments: