Saturday, December 19, 2009

So Much for a Green Christmas

Ever since I can remember, ever since I was a little tyke, I didn't care for the cold weather.

The golf course we lived next to was one of the best places to sled anywhere around. It was very, VERY hilly. That I enjoyed.

But I've always had problems with my sinuses in cold weather. The rest of the year they were just fine. But come cold weather, after one or two steps outside I would be reaching for the tissues.

Coming in from a lengthy sledding session on the golf course, my Mom would try to strip off my many layers of wet clothing as two snotscicles hung from my nose.

This morning I peaked out and there was a good dusting everywhere. That was three-hours ago and now it's snowing even harder and everything is covered solidly in white.

Is it pretty? Sure, while it's coming down.

But soon all the pretty white snow will be different shades of black. A black, slushy, icy, melty mess, and in little Marietta there is just nowhere to go with it. All we do is try to push it towards the drains on the street and wait until it melts into the river.

I've been particularly interested in this storm because we have planned to travel to Myerstown on Sunday to celebrate Christmas with my family. I have been really looking forward to seeing everyone.

I've had my fingers crossed hoping that the storm would track south of us. That doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like we're going to get slammed. Ugh.

I didn't make the family's Thanksgiving gathering because of the condition I was in from the drug dose I was then on. Basically I was awake for about an hour-a-day.

Now I feel much stronger. But it doesn't look good. We'll see. Either way, Barb and I are still always smiling in Marietta. What the heck...we have a big, giant box of assorted chocolates! (smile)

No comments: