Monday, December 28, 2009

The Party is Over

After much frustration with my health insurance company I've learned that it was in my best interest just not to interact with them at all.

But on December 26th I received three bills from the hospital, all wrong, about $15,000 wrong. Merry Christmas to me.

One of these bills I've received twice already, and I've resolved it twice already. Last time I addressed it with my insurance company they told me to throw it away.

They're always getting things screwed up. I often wonder if any other business could stay in business making this many mistakes. The hospital also complains about their ineptness. But they don't have to worry about it because I sign forms promising to pay them if my insurance company doesn't.

What is it like being the mediator between two giant companies? It stinks! I wish I could just get representatives from both companies in a room and resolve it right there.

But today I'll be the little guy, the little guy with advanced cancer, making endless phone calls throughout the day, beating my head against a wall, just to get what should have been anyway.

Ugh. What a way to start the week.

2 comments:

juliocorte@gmail.com said...

Hi JimAlbert! Nice to read as a coleague your blog. I have some similar practice here in Santiago, Chile.

I have a question for you, because in 2 hours I'll be changed from Sutent (it failed after 8 succesfully months for my kidney mestastasic cancer) to Nexavar or Torisel.

Can you tellme how many months have you been with every drug?

Was Nexavar the less friendly one?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Albert said...

Well, we are all our own snowflake and the drugs do effect all of us differently.

I was started on Nexavar because I was told it had the least side-effects. But looking back now, I'd say Nexavar was the roughest on me.

After Nexavar failed I was switched to Torisel which was very effective and easy for me to deal with but only lasted a few months.

After that was Sutent and it lasted longer than Torisell and was easy on me.

After a drug named Avastin didn't work at all I'm in another transition period.

My doctor seemed to favor switching between pill forms of chemo and IV forms of chemo.

I don't know if that helps. Best of luck to you in this struggle, and best wishes!