Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Little Lost, But on the Right Road

Let's see if I can explain all of this. Hmmmm...where to begin...

I was in for my chemotherapy treatment yesterday. It went well. The best thing about it was being able to meet and discuss things face-to-face with some of the medical staff.

The first thing discussed was the radiation treatment planned for my cervical spine.

First I had been told that I probably strained some muscles pruning trees. Then I had been told that it was probably a more serious rotator cuff injury. Then I had been told it was likely a pinched nerve. After an MRI it was confirmed that the pain was being caused by a tumor growing in the T2 section of my spine that was pinching a nerve.

Radiation treatment was immediately called for by my oncologist, but he hadn't provided anyone with a reason why.

Yesterday I received that reason. The doctor thought that we should attack this area and kill the cancer there before it has any further chance to grow, weakening that vertabrae which might cause it to collapse creating more problems.

That's all I needed to hear. Just give me a good rational reason. That's all I ask.

But the issue is still going to be discussed with the radiation oncologist to get his take on the situation, and he's out until tomorrow.

A big part of all of this confusion stems from a PET/CT scan I had in July. I remember the tech making a big deal out of the new machine they had, which was faster and combined the technologies of both the PET scan and the CT scan.

For the PET scan they inject radioactive sugar into my bloodstream, wait an hour and then scan my entire body to search for areas that are "lighting up." Those areas predict where cancer is in the body. After the PET scan the doctor was a little freaked out because cancer was everywhere. But I was much calmer because as I reviewed the scan I noticed that the PET scan was not only showing current areas of my cancer but also areas where cancer used to be - scar tissue that likely still held residual traces of cancer.

The CT scan is more straightforward and shows a current picture of where things are right now. Although it still has to be compared to previous scans to tell the difference from tumors and scar tissue.

Barb and I did learn yesterday that the new PET/CT scan should provide two separate scans as described. But it seemed like we only at the PET side of things. Today I have to get on the phone and try to track down this CT scan from July.

The problem with the PET scan is it is not comparable to a CT scan. It is its own animal. The doctor's solution to this was to order another PET scan next week so we could compare apples to apples. My insurance company disagreed. They denied the request for treatment.

When we entered the office yesterday my doctor was busy arguing with my insurance company. That usually works. But not this time. With their denial I will now be getting a CT scan next week instead of a PET scan.

That's fine with me. But now we won't be comparing apples to apples again. So I'm going to work hard to get those CT results from July to compare next week's CT scan to so we're comparing apples to apples again.

Like I said, it's a little confusing.

Now that radiation is scheduled to move forward that will be added to my busy medical schedule next week. Tuesday next week I have a consultation scheduled with the radiation oncologist, followed by a simulation of the planned radiation treatment. It's been hinted by the head radiation nurse that they will use the new tomotherapy machine on me. I hope so. It delivers a very precise dose of radiation to the affected area and can be administered over one or two days rather than an entire month.

So I have forms to fill out, calls to make, and at least one further consultation. The rest of this week I'll be at home but next week will be filled with medical activity.

Tuesday Barb and I will meet with the radiation oncologist, plan the treatment, and run through a simulation of the treatment. Wednesday I'm scheduled for a follow-up MRI scan of the brain to learn how the last Gamma Knife treatments went. Friday I'm scheduled for a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. If I can get a CT scan report from the radiology department that will be used to compare to next week's CT scan to see how the new chemo has been working.

The interesting thing is the pain in my right shoulder and arm is lessening. A week ago I wouldn't have been able to type this blog without taking an Aleve and a heavy-duty Percoset first. This morning I haven't taken anything and even after typing this blog feel no pain at all.

What does this mean? Has the chemo started working on this area? We don't know. We don't have the right scans to compare and come to a conclusion. Hopefully, soon we will.

No comments: