Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Very Nice Day

A big thank you to everyone who stopped by to this old house in Marietta yesterday to celebrate Labor Day.

It was great to see everyone - Alyssa and Charlie, my Mom and Dad, Karen, Jamie and Heather, and Doug and Cristy. We do not have many opportunities to get together like that.

Heather, of course, stole the show. I can relate to her in more ways than immaturity. We both seem to have a burst of energy, followed by the need for a nap.

I pulled out one of my bongo drums in hopes that it would entertain her. I was thrilled to find out that it did. She took right to it. She certainly has some musical instincts inside her. It's good to see someone that young enjoying music rather just the old TV. Although she was completely enthralled with the TV when the Sponge Bob Squarepants movie when it came on. But, hey, who wouldn't be?

Heather wanted me to sing her a song. So I quickly made one up and sang it to her, the "Heather has Stinky Feet," song. She laughed out loud and quickly altered the song to her liking, "Jim has stinky feet, stinky feet, stinky feet."

My Dad was pretty quiet, possibly a little overwhelmed by so many people surrounding him at once. But we all took our personal time with him. He seemed to be doing well all in all. Evidently the doctor has switched the medication he has been taking and hopes are that it is having a more positive effect.

Thanks to Jamie and Doug for manning the grill. Thanks to Mom for her famous Detroit-style potato salad. Thanks to Heather for sharing the hammock with me. And a big thank you to everyone for visiting and sharing some smiles.

President Obama is due to give his controversial speech to school children today, covering such touchy subjects as why it's important for kids to stay in school and work hard.

I've heard that he is already preparing another speech that is bound to stir up more anger, "Why it's important to eat our vegetables."

Shake off the fun, it's back to work everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a wonderful day with the family all together. Always love to see Charlie and Alyssa and the rest of Barb's family whenever possible. Your dad really enjoyed the day but was very tired by the time I got him home. Ir was wonderful after all he has been through to have him physically in our midst once again. I hope it can continue. He has already asked about Christmas. We went home through Mt Gretna and he really enjoyed that ride. I was a bit tired myself by the time I took him back to Spang Crest. I think he would do OK at home and I will keep working to make that happen.

Heather is just so loaded with personality. I just loved her interaction with Jimmy and when she actually called him Jimmy it just blew me away. I hope I live long enough to see her grow up.

Again thanks for a great day and sorry about the hot dogs and hamburgers. Imagine a hamburger/hot dog picnic without the main ingredients. What was I thinking??? Love to everybody MOM

Anonymous said...

We had a good time too! Heather talked the entire way home until she fell asleep. We would love to get together again, let us know when!

Karen and Jamie