Thursday, September 24, 2009

Big Surprise

Our neighbors have been AWOL for most of this past year. They will stop in now and again to check on the house, check mail, and general things like that. We don't know a lot but we do know that they've had a tough year. They have a family farm in Berks County and a father passed away this year, as well as a husband.

Typically when we see them Barb or I try to catch up and talk with them a little bit. We let them know how they're missed in the neighborhood. Afterall a neighborhood isn't a neighborhood without neighbors.

Last week Barb caught up with one gentleman, in his late 20s or early 30s, and they spoke for a bit. Barb described what I did to my right shoulder and arm while I was trimming branches. He told Barb that he would handle the trees for us. He had all the equipment, even a shredder to make mulch of the trimmed branches. We really didn't take this very seriously.

Yesterday Barb hustled into the living room and said, "The neighbors are in our backyard."

I scampered back to the sunroom and low and behold there were our neighbors trimming back all of our branches.

Wow. I do believe in miracles.

They had a pole saw and clipper. They had a rope saw. They had a bow saw, a hand trimmer, a chain saw. They had a shredder and were making mulch on the spot.

I instantly went out to greet them, thank them, and make sure they weren't drunk or had just lost their mind.

They just wanted to help us out. We've always had a good neighborly relationship. But we're not as close as family and friends.

We discussed plans, where to trim, where not to trim. They worked through dusk. I can't wait until morning light to see everything. I can tell already that the canopy of the trees is much improved.

I tried to offer them something for all their generosity. But they would have none of that. I'm going to insist on offering them something again today.

In a day and an age where virtually nothing gets done without a price tag attached to it, it's so refreshing to see something like this take place. I was worried about finishing the tree trimming. I had quit in the middle of it all due to my right shoulder and arm. This is quite a gesture that will not soon be forgotten.

It is much more enjoyable to give than to receive. This gesture by our neighbors will certainly remind me to offer myself in return, or extend it to others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angels are everywhere.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. There are still good people in the world. Life is all about loving and helping your neighbors and by their actions, you know their goodness. Love MOM