Tuesday, September 22, 2009

From a Golden Couple to a Young Couple

Just rebounding from my Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary on Saturday, today our "kids" Alyssa and Charlie celebrate their second anniversary.

Happy anniversary guys!

Forming a solid relationship in this day and age can seem more difficult than ever, when nearly half of all marriages end in divorce. But is there anything more important?

The most important things in life always take work, and are always worth working for. I think a good marriage is one of those things certainly worth working for, like my parents successfully have, and like Alyssa and Charlie are embarking upon.

You're not always going to agree. You're not always going to see things the same way. If you did, how exciting would that be? Not to mention how impossible would that seem?

But you learn to merge each others strengths and weaknesses to form a great team.

There are so many ways that Barb has made me a stronger, more complete person. Hopefully I've had similar impacts on her.

Barb has taught me to never use the word "hate," which in the bigger picture means that I never hold such a strong emotion in my heart. She's taught me to me more sensitive and understanding.

Did anyone get birthday cards from me before I met Barb? Of course not. I didn't mean anything by it, I just couldn't remember all the dates. Barb has a filing cabinet in her head with every important date stored.

If my Dad raised us kids alone I'm sure we all would have been dressed in burlap sacks and lived off grilled cheese sandwiches. But our financial future would always be set and assured.

My Mom added art and culture to our lives, exposing us to music and theater, things my Dad did not have much of an interest in.

Together they were a dynamic duo.

Alyssa and Charlie are learning their strengths and weaknesses. They're learning how to merge themselves into a great team. It won't be easy. Things that are worthwhile never are. But they're on their way. They'll do it. I look forward to celebrating their 50th anniversary as well.

Happy anniversary guys!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to Charlie and Alyssa. I wish they could have celebrated with us on Saturday but work does come first. I wish them many happy years together. There will be many forks in the road but you chose your roads together and try to end up on the road less travelled. Paul and I had very few arguments -- in fact if we had any at all, they were so minor I cannot remember them at all. While I think most people viewed us as the "odd couple", we were definitely complimented each other and knew our boundaries with each other. We never could have achieved 50 years without our love for each other, our spiritual faith, our trust in each other and our faith in each other. We mixed and matched these ingredients for every situation in our household. It is not something you learn overnight so I hope Charlie and Alyssa can find their mix of ingredients to make their way to 50 years. At their age, we also scoffed at being married 50 years -- those people who achieved that benchmark were really old and we had the world by the tail. It went fast -- way too fast and the day came and went in a whirlwind like all the days are seeming to do. Never let the sun go down upon your wrath and never never argue in front of your kids or neighbors. Settle your differences behind closed doors and keep those differences just between the 2 of you. Settle those diffences with you love and you will see 50 years just like Paul and I did and let me tell you it has been one heck of a ride. I am just sorry it went so fast and that there is so little time left for us. Love MOM

Jim Albert said...

I am fully expecting to attend your 75th Anniversary.