Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Sounds of Lawnmowers Fill the Air

After a wet start to the day yesterday, things finally started to dry out. Humanity emerged from every household and from every business.

Weeds were being pulled. New plantings were being placed with care. Fertilizers were being spread, and the distinctive smell of Lancaster County filled the air.

Let the lawnmowers roll!

It took at least three laps to cut down the "hay" in my backyard. It wore me down. But it felt good. I predicted that I would be sore this morning. But (shrugging shoulders) so far so good.

I did have enough left to fill the bird feeder. Birds are so sloppy. They spill about 90-percent of what they eat. The bird feeder is made for little song birds. So a food chain develops around the feeder with the smaller birds spilling seed to the ground for the larger birds.

This Spring we attracted our first gold finch to the feeder. The cardinals have been numerous recently. I haven't spotted a blue jay yet. Plus, I have to find my bird book (it's here somewhere) so I can tell you about all the other varieties we've been getting.

Marietta is getting ready for "Marietta Days." It's an annual Spring festival where Market Street, which runs in front of our house, is closed to auto traffic and filled with foot traffic. The streets are filled with a combination of yard sales, vendors stands, and food stands.

It's scheduled for next Saturday, rain or shine. Attendance is very dependent upon the weather. If it's nice outside, it will get quite crowded.

The food is great. If you like french fries, this is the place to be. Plus the deli across the street from us, annually makes their famous homemade sausage sandwiches. It is homemade sausage, not store bought. It's also covered in sauce, peppers and onions, at your request. And I request!

Unfortunately the vendors can be a little disappointing. There are some gems out there. There is an exception to every thing. But, well let's put it this way, if you're interested in buying counterfeit, knock-off merchandise, you could have a field day at Marietta Days.

I do wish the organizers would start weeding this element out. But I try to keep my mouth shut and smile. Plus they're keeping me fat and happy on those awesome sausage sandwiches.

No comments: