Tuesday, May 12, 2009

For This Week, It's Like a Regular Job

Anyone who has owned and run their own business knows it's not easy. You put in a lot of hours. You wear a lot of different hats. There can be a lot of pressure.

But there are positives too of course. The most important thing to me is that my fate is in my own hands. I'm not at the mercy of someone else. I take all responsibility. That's what I want.

I can also work at 3 a.m. or noon or after dinner, and I do. But I can also take a Tuesday off to do yardwork if my schedule permits.

It's my course to chart.

This week though, with the guys working on installing central air in the house I am on their schedule. I have to make sure they can get into the house to start at 7:30 in the morning, which means that I clock in at 7:30 a.m. too. A shower, breakfast, exercises, and my short commute to the business half of our house, all have to be taken care of before 7:30 a.m. when I clock-in and start work.

So far the construction work has gone smoothly. I don't want to jinx myself. But they have all the holes for vents cut except for one on the first floor. They're very neat and conscientious too. They have left no mess whatsoever in the wake of their drilling and sawing and cutting through years and years of woodwork, plaster and drywall.

These guys are very trustworthy. I'm sure I could just take off and run errands, or jump out into the backyard and pull some weeds. But I'm taking my regular work hours this week as an opportunity to try to work on redoing my Web site. It can be the greatest thing in the world (which it's not), but if you don't freshen it up and give people something new it gets boring fast. We've become a society of short attention spans.

Does anyone read anymore? Well I know some that still do.

Well I better get back to work. My boss is a terrible tyrant.

No comments: