Monday, May 18, 2009

Ellis and the Cougar

Ellis stopped by for a visit on Saturday and as he came storming through the kitchen he saw me and asked "Where's the cougar?"

By cougar, Ellis meant Freckles, our big, unsocial, tom cat.

Ellis first mission when he comes to our house is always to find Freckles. He likes when Freckles hisses and shows his teeth. He thinks it's cool.

I happened to know exactly where Freckles was hiding, so I asked Ellis to follow me and I'd help him find the "cougar."

Freckles was behind a small bookshelf that is behind my desk. I could only see his eyes and the top of his ears.

"Now be very quiet," I said to Ellis. I sneaked up towards Freckles. Ellis started to tip toe too. I stopped about five-feet short of the cat and quietly pointed him out to Ellis.

Ellis smiled. He was thrilled to see him.

I explained to Ellis that we shouldn't get too close. And after studying Freckles for a minute I convinced Ellis that we should leave him be and return to the kitchen.

Or did I convince him.

In a minute or two I felt a pull at my shorts. It was Ellis. He had snuck back over to visit Freckles some more.

"I got a little closer to him," Ellis said, full of excitement. "He looked at me and went 'HISSSSSS'." Ellis showed his teeth and tried to mimic the cougar.

Ellis was happy.

Saturday was Marietta Day here in town. We're right in the heart of it. There's some good food, and a lot for sale from both out-of-town vendors and residents' yard sales. I like the food, and I like to people watch. We've got a lot of strange characters in this town.

The best part is having great family and friends stop by. The Painters stopped by and I haven't seen them for awhile. Also "Cookie" and her beau stopped in for a visit. It was great to see Cookie again. I just love the fact that we have a friend named "Cookie."

Alyssa was here, and Susan and Bill, and Debbie and Ellis, and it was great to see them all.

Bill disappeared on me after the first sausage sandwich (with the works). Later I had discovered that he had gone out back and fixed some copper pipe to repair our outdoor spicket.

I was really hoping that he'd just enjoy the food and relax. He certainly deserves it. But Barb and I are both very grateful to Bill for not just fixing this, but all the things he does.

Sunday Muk came to town for a visit. We would have traveled to Myerstown. But my Mom did want to see our new furniture.

It was great to see Muk. She's always been so supportive, loving and caring. She's quite a woman.

Every now and then in college I would get a note from the postman that I had an oversized package to pick-up at the post office. When I would pick it up it would be a shoe box full of brownies, or banana bread, or cookies, and it was from Muk.

Through my cancer fight Muk never hesitates to call with support or send a card to remind us that she is thinking of us.

She is golden. She is magic.

With the family and friends I have around me, how can't I be the luckiest guy in the world?

No comments: