Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Our Favorite Day!

A little sarcasm there, we really don't care for the grocery store that much.

Today is grocery day, which means a trip to the butcher, to the grocery store, and we even have to stop at the vet's to get Freckle's food.

I don't know what it is about the grocery store, but it almost always wears me out. It's not like anything I'm doing is that difficult. I think I usually start feeling the fatique when we get into the cleaning solutions stuff aisle, followed directly by the beauty and health products aisle.

It reminds me of when my Mom took me into women's clothing sections at the department store and I was so bored I could cry.

But Barb and I almost always remind each other on our way in the store, "Let's make the most of it." And we do.

Barb's got the list and is in charge of picking out everything we need. I'm in charge of packing the cart neatly to take greatest advantage of the space available. We always, always, forget one thing, just one.

I do my best to stay out of people's way, and try to ensure that I don't get run over by anyone. The store we go to has carts with little cars attached to the front of the cart. A child can sit in the car and pretend he's driving. Some Moms like to use this feature as a weapon.

"My kid's in the front and I'm not stopping so you better get out of the way!"

I dive into the spices and hear her growl as she wheels past.

The butcher really isn't that busy during a weekday mid-morning. They know us. We're regulars. We talk and joke while they make sure we're getting the freshest sheet of bacon.

Not an exciting day in Marietta.

But there will likely be chocolate chip cookies on my kitchen counter by noon today. That's enough to get me plenty excited.

No comments: