Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Life is Like the Ocean

For a long time, don't ask me why, I've always equated life to the ocean. As you stand there in the surf, you never know what's coming next. A lull can suddenly be broken by a big, strong wave and knock you over. Don't ever turn your back on the ocean...or life. It might surprise you.

Us humans are interesting creatures. If you've ever stopped to look at an ant mound, that's us on the Earth. We're everywhere.

We've dominated. We've cultivated. We've destroyed.

I honestly believe that for the most part we believe that we are in control of nature, rather than at the mercy of it. We build a major city beneath sea level, flaunting our egos over nature with locks and levees to control water itself.

Two of the most expensive pieces of real estate in this country are both built on landfills, Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and Manhattan in New York City.

I've tried to control my backyard and have had some successes and some failures, and I noticed that the decisions are made by nature. I am just a pawn.

The azaleas were getting more sun than they liked. The butterfly bush wasn't getting enough sun. The ferns are doubling in number every year.

I'm trying to read my backyard like the ocean. Pay attention, watch for what nature is dictating, work out my timing, try to be in the right spot at the right time, and then ride that wave all the way to shore kicking and screaming with elation and joy.

I'd love to get a grand vegetable garden going. But we have too much shade and very little consistent sun. The shade is great for keeping the house and property cool during the hot, humid summers. But it's not to great for cucumbers.

I have to have some tomato plants though. There's just nothing like a fresh tomato, ripened on the vine, and picked right out of your own yard.

It's on our schedule for this morning.

Tomorrow Barb and I will meet with the oncologist for a regularly scheduled appointment. Everything has been going pretty well for me this month. But we will have some assorted things to discuss, always something to discuss.

We work hard to make nature our servant, rather than us being a servant of nature.

No comments: