Saturday, May 2, 2009

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

When my Mom found out that the postman ripped our front screen door off the front of the house she advised that we bring it to the attention of the post office.

When Barb's Mom found out what the postman had done she recommended that we bring it to the attention of the post office.

When Alyssa found out (while vacationing in Florida) what the postman had done she said that we should tell the post office about it immediately.

Now it's not really a "screen" door. It's actually a handmade door, a wooden frame held together with dowels with a glass insert.

I felt that the postman (word on the street was that it was actually a postlady), was unnecessarily aggressive with our door. At the least, it's been agreed, that the person who left the door in shambles should have at least knocked on the door and said, "Oops. Sorry."

But I quickly got over it and decided not to sweat the small stuff.

Marietta is a real small town. It's easy to get people upset around here quickly. I'm a guy who tries to go the extra mile to keep the peace. Maybe that's my fault. But I'm a pretty relaxed and mellow guy.

When I first opened business here in Marietta I attended a local business association meeting. I was introducing myself to the handful of local business owners at the meeting, and explaining my business and what I do.

I tried to explain to the group that Marietta is important to me because the whole town is a reflection on my business, and my business is a reflection on the town. But I also added that my clients would come from the larger region of Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, Lebanon and Reading, and not from Marietta itself.

A week later someone in the association told me that everyone was talking about how I said that Marietta wasn't important to me and I didn't want clients from Marietta.

Jeesh. It doesn't take much sometimes.

So I repaired the door yesterday, and even ran out and bought a hand planer for $17 to shave a little off the bottom of the door so it doesn't stick. I looked at it as an opportunity to try to make a little improvement.

If people ask me what I'm working on around this old house, I can almost always say, "Well, whatever has broken most recently."

With Barb's help the door was rehung nicely yesterday. It made me notice that I could also do some sanding to a wooden footer below the door to help the door fit even better, and make everything look neater. That's on the list for today. But we'll see if the rainy weather allows for it.

We'll see how the postman treats the door this morning when the mail arrives.

I've lived in very big cities, and I've lived in very small towns. Both certainly have their strengths and weaknesses. But give me a small town any day. I'm still a pretty shy and reserved guy.

It's tough to be reserved in a small town where everyone always seems to know your business (or at least thinks they do). But I'm getting used to being a big dork that stands out like a sore thumb, that everyone always seems to recognize and remember.

Walking down the street, waving to a passing car beeping their horn, stopping to have a conversation with a neighbor working in the garden, there is a certain feeling of home in all of that.

No comments: