Saturday, March 28, 2009

Time for a Switch

Decadron is a pretty serious steroid that is crucial after any type of brain radiaton to control swelling in the brain. Unlike swelling anywhere else in the body, swelling in the brain has no place to expand within the skull, which can lead to potentially serious situations.

I've been taking Decadron for at least two-months, through two gamma knife radiation treatments. The body builds up a dependence on Decadron over time. The longer you are on it, the harder it is to stop taking it. Decadron doses have to slowly be reduced, while you ween off the drug. You cannot just wake up one day and decide to stop taking it, at least not without consequences.

I started with doses of 8 milligrams a day. Over time I reduced my dosage to .5 miiligrams a day before stopping it all together a couple of days ago.

I'm starting to feel the withdrawl effects. Ugh.

Decadron will give you a ferocious appetitie, which typically leads to weight gain. It will increase strength and energy, as well. That doesn't sound too bad for a skinny guy on chemo. But the Decadron is known to lower the effectiveness of the chemo, and disguise many of the side-effects of the chemo. It's a false sense of wellness.

I figured it was time to pull the plug. Starting next week I have an appointment with the nuerosurgeon, then the following week I'm scheduled for a CT scan and then an appointment with my oncologist. I know both doctors hope to see me off of the steroid by the time they see me next.

I'm off, and I'm working hard at staying off the steroid. I knew the transition off the drug would not be easy. That is turning out to be the case.

Just a couple of days off the Decadron and I'm definitely feeling it. I'm very, vey tired all the time. My stomach has begun to become upset and my digestion is not as strong as it was previously. Overall, the Decadron withdrawl makes me feel extremely tired, weak and lazy.

The regular, expected, side-effects of chemotherapy are all starting to come back now, effects that the steroid had been hiding and covering. I can't say that I'm glad to have all the chemo effects coming back. But it was important in the big picture to get the steroid out of the picture. It was time for a switch.

We're planning on visiting my father today at the Hershey Medical Center. We're very concerned about his well-being. He is in my thoughts constantly.

No comments: