Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Change in Schedule

The local morning news just came on and reported that it's 12-degrees outside. Our thermometer on the back of the house is recording a temperature of 18-degrees.

It's cold.

Temperatures are not expected to reach above freezing today. With yesterday's snow, March is definitely coming in like a lion.

Today is grocery day. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to going out in the cold. But we'll have to do what we have to do. Today is the ideal day to go out and fill the fridge with food, because there has been a change in schedule.

Yesterday in the late afternoon, a nurse from the radiation oncology office called me to ask if we could do my radiation treatment on Wednesday. It was originally scheduled for the middle of March. She caught me a little by surprise. But after I discussed it with Barb a little we decided it was probably for the best to get to the Gamma Knife and get it over with.

It kind of cuts my "retreat" from treatment and doctors short.

It also kind of throws a wrench into my painting plans. I was kind of hoping to have the painting at a good stopping point before the radiation treatment. Unfortunately I won't be able to finish off the front room before treatments, which means furniture randomly arranged out of the way of the work areas, and covered in plastic. I'll need to find the strength after the brain radiation to finish this off.

I'm so fortunate to have folks around me, supporting me so incredibly, like I do. I called my Mom as soon as I found out that the Gamma Knife was now scheduled for Wednesday. I needed to arrange a ride. They sedate you a bit before the Gamma Knife procedure. Afterall, they do screw a metal frame to my skull.

"How available are you on Wednesday?" I asked my Mom.

"I'll make myself available," she instantly answered.

I have felt consistently lame for having to ask for such help. But I continue to be incredibly touched by such willingness to help. Thanks so much.

No comments: