Saturday, March 21, 2009

Not Out of the Woods Yet

I just got off the phone with my Mom who is on her way to the Hershey Medical Center.

Apparently my father's one lung collapsed last night, likely the one on the side with seven broken ribs. The Medical Center is in the process of inserting a breathing tube, draining the fluid in his lung, and filling him with antibiotics because he has pnuemonia now as well.

I can only imagine. I had two broken ribs and caught pnuemonia in college and it was one of the most trying and painful six-weeks of recovery that I've ever endured. But I was in college and not in my 80s.

But my Dad is a tough guy. He just needs to work up his will amidst this all to put up the fight. My thoughts and prayers are with him every second right now.

My thoughts and prayers are with my Mom every second right now too. My Dad looks for her, finds strength in her presence. He needs her there. It gives him assurance.

Hopefully they'll get the fluid drained, and the lung reinflated quickly. Then hopefully my Dad will sleep and rest and recover. It's going to be many weeks of recuperating ahead.

No comments: