Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bore

I guess I should be embarassed to admit as an American male that I have not watched one full NFL game this year. Actually I do not think I've watched half a game.

I just can't get into it.

Professional sports and professional athletes have just become so detached from reality that I can't get into it anymore.

When I was growing up I wouldn't miss a Sixers NBA game. I'd even work my way into town to someone's house who had cable, so I could watch.

I haven't watched an NBA game for years. I guess I was done a few years ago when one NBA player turned down $20 million stating, "Hey! I have a family to feed!"

Barb and I are planning on attending a Super Bowl party today. Alyssa and Charlie are planning a little gathering. I'll be honest. I'm in it for the family, friends, and food, not the football.

I guess I'm voting for Pittsburgh. Hey it's still Pennsylvania. And I respect the tough, blue collar reputation of the "Steel City." Although I'm not going to lose any sleep over the game no matter who wins.

I'm sure I won't make it through the whole game tonight either. My goal is to get to half time, watch Bruce Springsteen, and get back to Marietta with a full belly.

No comments: