Saturday, February 7, 2009

Good Appointment

I had a good appointment with my oncologist on Thursday. It was a scheduled, routine follow-up. The oncologist believes that everything he's hearing and seeing equals remarkable progress through this past month.

The new chemo Sutent is definitely making its mark. Typically this would be impossible to guage without a CT scan. But since I had a topical tumor on the back of my head I've had something to measure by.

I was happy when the oncologist went searching for this bump on my head and couldn't even find it. It had grown to about the size of a quarter, and now is virtually invisible and gone.

The doctor was pleasantly surprised by how quickly and effectively the new chemo began working. He and I both assume that it is being just as effective throughout the body.

I was a little concerned about the brain, what might be going on up there, and my recovery from radiation. He put my mind at ease though.

I learned, through the doctor, that feeling a little punched around in the head is perfectly normal for weeks and even months after radiation treatments. The fact that I felt a bit better each and every week was what was most significant to him.

I was surprised to hear him say that some people, on the extreme end, may take as long as two-years to completely shake off the effects of radiation of the brain.

Well now, at least, I have a good excuse for doing stupid things.

All of my bloodwork was good too. The doctor was very happy with the course of treatment, and Barb and I walked away feeling confident we're on the right track again.

I have been feeling better and stronger with each passing day. I've gained 10-pounds and the hip will soon be well enough to get me back on the bike-trainer. It's supposed to be in the 40-degree range this weekend so I plan on pulling the big ladder out of the basement and put the final touches on painting the stairwell.

The doctor appointment went so smooth and well yesterday the doctor and I had time to talk about normal stuff, what we're up to, filling tires with air in 17-degree temps, Barb's birthday. Barb even had some time to visit with some of the nurses.

It's been a tough month of recovery. But for now it seems like we're getting everything back on track.

No comments: