Friday, February 13, 2009

Generations

The 50s were the "Happy Days" and "Leave it to Beaver" generation. The 60s brought on Vietnam, revolt, and the hippies. The 70s were excess and the disco generation. The 80s brought on big hair and the Reagan era. The 90s were the X-generation.

What is the current decade all about?

I don't really know.

I've asked people in their 20s what new music is coming out. They've shrugged their shoulders.

I know about many new artists and new music that's been coming out in recent years. But all of it seems to be geared more towards my generation.

I constantly look for signs of intelligence in society, in the media, in cultural events, in general. I seem to find less and less of it.

There used to be concerts and art exhibits and performances of all kinds to get involved in. Now the more I look, the less I find.

Creative television shows have thoroughly been replaced by "reality" TV.

A 61-year old, Robert Plant, dominated the Grammy Awards a couple weeks ago.

Even Saturday morning cartoons seem to have been replaced by 200 channels of paid programming.

And, no, I have not bought a "Snuggie" yet. Jeesh, a blanket with two holes in it to stick your arms through. Please tell me you guys aren't buying that!

The older teenagers we see here in Marietta we refer to as punks. They mainly just hang-out, smoke cigarettes, and do their best to try to look like ghetto toughies with their jeans hanging halfway down their rear ends. They have tan lines from hours in front of the Playstation, and stand around and hold up the street signs when they decide to come out for air.

I'm sure there are intelligent youth out there. I must not be looking in the right places.

I'm sure there are some in this generation of 2000-2010 that are interested in culture, in reading, in writing, in art, in music, in performance.

Aren't there?

No comments: