Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Checking the Brain Status

Tomorrow I have a follow-up MRI of the brain to hopefully ensure that the Gamma Knife radiation treatment did the job on the sole, small tumor that showed up in my brain just over six-weeks ago.

It's been the thing I've been most nervous about.

The brain is a quandry. It's certainly not as easily accessible as the rest of the body. Also, the blood/brain barrier makes it difficult to get chemotherapy to reach the brain. Evidently the brain has its own blood filter that the medical community has never been able to figure out completely.

I'm still feeling some minor effects from the radiation, in both my brain and in my hip. But I have noticed continued improvement with each passing week, and that gives me reason to feel positive.

Cancer is a crap shoot. It's unpredictable. There seems to be little reason to it. It can go into remission, sometimes for very extended periods of time. It can also turn very aggressive and attack the body quickly and ruthlessly.

But that's the nature of life itself. One day you can be just cruising along, and the next suddenly you've had the weight of the world dropped on your shoulders. There's never a dull moment in this life on this big blue marble.

Today we're taking off for my favorite activity in the world - grocery shopping. OK, yes, there was some sarcasm there.

I'm hoping the trip doesn't drain me too much. I would like to do some more painting today.

We shall see. I keep pushing. I keep fighting. I keep going at it best I can each and everyday.

No comments: