Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Staying Busy

The best counter attack I've found to the chemo fatique is just staying active. With all we have on our schedules, staying active should not be difficult, although keeping up might be.

Today we have a meeting with our financial advisors. I'll politely pretend that I understand what they're saying as they throw out the financial lingo. We'll communicate our goals for the year to them, and send them out to put us in the big bag of investments they throw most of their clients in.

Not a big deal meeting, but something to deal with.

This afternoon I'm going to stop-in with our family doctor just for a general "wellness" check-in. The deal with my local doc was that we'd let the oncologists and radiologists try to kill me with chemotherapy and radiation, while he tries to keep me as well as possible through it all.

Another no big deal meeting, but another appointment for the day.

Tomorrow a potential client is coming in to discuss costs and methods for us to build him a web site. I purposely position myself in a certain price range, which reflects the quality level we deliver. I don't know if his business budget will accomodate working with us or not. But, we'll see.

I've found through the years that I'm much happier doing quality work for a higher price, than just chasing as much business as possible for the lowest possible price. I can do one job really well for a couple thousand dollars, or I can hack out a job for a couple hundred dollars. But the latter option means I have to work twice as many jobs to earn the same amount.

Marietta Days will be here before we know it (May 17th) and we're scattering to empty all of our boxes in the attic and the basement so we can decide to keep, throw out, or sell at Marietta Days.

Since, apparently, the folks that built this house 200-years ago were four-feet tall, working in the basement for me is a stiff back waiting to happen. But I'll get down there and drag something out so I can work on it without having to crouch over, occasionally banging my head on floor joists and pipes.

We've got plenty of yardwork to do, like everyone else I guess. And we've got plenty of work to continue on this old house. The new decks have been quite a blessing, and we've been getting out on them quite a bit. But we still have a ton of painting to do here and we really need to start picking some of that work off.

There's some business marketing to be done as I'm trying to finish off a little mailer.

I still have a ton of print making and framing to do.

I want to buy a huge canvas that Barb and I can turn into an abstract painting in the backyard on a nice day.

We're looking into a water softener since it's been confirmed to us that Marietta has hard, hard water. Jeesh the water ate its way through our kitchen faucet.

That's only half of my "to-do" list. So there should be plenty to keep me active and help fight the fatique.

Yesterday Freckles added to our daily workload when he suddenly disappeared. We looked everywhere, for probably just shy of an hour. Then Barb finally spotted him sleeping in the spare bedroom, somehow crawling back in a corner behind the daybed and an end table. It was somewhere he's never been seen, nor found before.

It was a quick game of hide-and-seek.

No comments: