Friday, April 25, 2008

Politico

Everyone who knows me knows that I like a good debate.

I once worked with a communist and atheist, and we debated for hours and hours on end. People would think we despised each other the way we went at it. But nothing could be further from the truth. We held a lot of respect for one another and just liked to butt heads. Afterall, debating lets you explore issues, and focus your own thoughts and beliefs.

And I love a good political debate. But I have behaved as Clinton and Obama littered tv, print and radio the past six-weeks in Pennsylvania.

I kept my mouth shut . . . well, until now . . . LOL.

One thing that has been great to see is the energy, interest and enthusiasm that surrounds this election. In the past there would be a lot of non-chalance, little interest, and a general feeling of "Who cares? It doesn't matter."

Not this time, voters of all ages have really formed strong opinions and strongly supported certain candidates, or at least strongly opposed certain candidates. That energy, that interest, that passion about public policy, is at least a good step in the right direction.

After that? Well . . .

I do like how Americans balance power amongst the parties by switching power from Republicans to Democrats now and again. It's been eight-years of Republican control of the White House, and now it certainly appears as if the public is going to give it back to the Democrats again. And typically after that Congress will be flopped to contrast the party in the Oval Office.

I like it. At least we get a balancing effect.

I would like if we just got rid of parties. I really think party politics causes much more harm than good. We have how many billion people in this country and we can narrow down all opinion to two simple interest groups? Doesn't make sense to me.

I believe in good ideas. I don't care who thought of them. But many of our representatives tow party lines to gain favor, or return favors, and care little about whether an idea is good or bad for their constituents.

What really amazed me was how many Pennsylvania Republicans changed their voter registration to Democrat just for the primary election. Did they feel that strongly for or against Clinton or Obama? Was it an issue of gender or race?

I don't know. I didn't feel that compelled. I'm an independent. I don't get to vote in the primary. And that's how I'm keeping it. I don't take part in party politics.

For me, I'll be glad to see the switch from Republican to Democrat in the White House (don't worry GOP ground, you'll be back again soon). I am happy to see a woman or an African-American on the verge of the Presidency. I think it's long overdue.

Beyond that, I can't imagine it really matters. Clinton and Obama are both lawyers, both Washington insiders, both more of the same.

My prediction?

McCain is seen as more of the same. He hasn't a chance.

Clinton is too goofy. She won't be seen by Americans as stoic enough to fill this role.

So it's Obama by a good margin over McCain. But don't expect the government or your world to change.

No comments: