Monday, April 28, 2008

A Few Monday Updates

I've blogged quite a bit about my ongoing battle with Aetna, my health insurer. Basically they sold me a prescription benefit that stated "maximum out-of-pocket expense of $2,500" and then they changed it after I had joined the plan to "maximum benefit of $2,500."

With prescription costs being what they are (my chemo drug has a list price of just over $7,000 a month) this has been quite a slip-up on Aetna's part.

I'm the kind of guy who always thinks that things can be worked out. That philosophy may be a little naive. But it's me. I like that approach and I believe in it. I'm not much for starting big wars.

I've reached a point with Aetna where my only choice is to start a big war. And I don't think I want that. I could hire an attorney, spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and I'm confident I would win the case. I'm very confident.

If my back was against a wall, obviously I'd have no choice. But the pharmaceutical companies themselves have supplied me with the drugs I need under patient-assistance programs. I don't think financial responsibility is falling where it should. But it's either accept the patient-assistance being offered to me or start a big war.

The more I've experienced the health care system, pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance, the more I've come to realize that our health care system is a gigantic mess. It's a gigantic game where health administrators, drug providers, and insurers all play with one another to see who can rake in the biggest bucks. From what I can tell, they're all doing pretty well - at our expense.

I won't even pretend that I have all the answers on how to fix it. But I can say, from someone who's had more experience with healthcare this past year than probably anyone you'll ever know, it needs fixed. It's seriously broken.

So Long Sunshine
After a BEAUTIFUL week last week, this week we're kicking off to steady rain and cold, and it appears that it will last throughout the week.

But April showers bring May flowers, or so the saying goes. I'm sure it will bring us some weeds too. So we'll continue the yardwork after this week of cold, rainy weather. I'm determined to continue to build ourselves a little oasis in the backyard.

I was quite surprised over the weekend to see the first blades of grass pop up in our big barren area that had become overcome with moss. It's inconsistent, but it looks good in the areas that the grass is growing. I'm ready with more fertilizer and more grass seed. I'm planning on a full, lush lawn through pure perserverance.

Marietta Days
Our annual Spring time town yard sale is coming up May 17th, and Barb and Alyssa are getting ready. I've been regularly trying to clean-up and push junk out of the house for the past few months. "Marietta Days," as it's called, will be the perfect opportunity to get rid of it. And whatever doesn't go is going to the junk man.

I expect them to do well. Alyssa is quite the little sales lady and visual merchandiser. And Barb is as friendly and approachable as anyone on the planet. If I stand out there people just seem to be a little frightened and keep moving.

Regardless, as long as we have some nice weather May 17th, the house should end up a lot lighter.

No comments: