Friday, April 11, 2008

(Smile)

It didn't take me long to cut my chemo dosage in half, as soon as I had permission from the doc.

Actually I had to take my 400 milligrams worth of pills on the way home from Philadelphia Tuesday and started the 200 milligram lower dose right then, right away.

I figured it would take me a couple weeks to feel any effect from the move. But I seem to be feeling better already.

Afterall, I have been on chemo at full dosage, every day, for the past year. That's a long time to be on chemo. It really wears you down. I deserved a break.

Yesterday my digestive system was not only calm but strong. Fatique wasn't an issue at all. I felt like frolicking through the tulips and hyacinths in the backyard. So I did.

(Smile)

By late yesterday afternoon our thermometer read 78-degrees. It was the best day yet this Spring weather wise.

Two-days ago Barb and I made our first foray into the yard this Spring. Moss is taking over our yard. We raked it clean and spread fertilizer. We'll follow-up with new grass seed next week.

It was nice to get out, play in the dirt. But it was a little damp and overcast throughout the day.

Yesterday the sun beamed, the birds sang. I was frolicking through the tulips and hyacinths. The jacket was too warm. It was the first day this year that I thought short sleeves were enough.

I grabbed a rake and a shovel and cleaned out a pretty large planting bed, around the dogwood to the smaller back deck, and down through the shade garden full of hostas and ferns and English ivy.

With the shovel I spread out the piles of dirt excavated to make way for the new pavers. Some loose rocks from the paver project was interspersed with the dirt, so I took a light rake through the bed again.

It felt great. I was sweaty. I was dirty.

I grabbed the big broom and swept off the new pavers.

I need to make a point of taking time to get out in the yard every nice day and do a little something.

(Smile)

I decided to step on the scale again yesterday. The scale has not become part of my daily rituals. As the weight drops I get tired of the reminders.

As the wheel on the scale spun and settle into position I called out, "Barb. Can you come here?"

"Is everything OK?" she answered.

I did not answer back. I just wanted her to pop in the room, look at the scale and confirm what I was seeing.

She did.

We looked at each other.

The scale said 179-pounds. That's eight-pounds gained in the past two-weeks. Wow.

And that weigh-in was before I had stuffed chicken breasts and mashed potatoes for lunch, followed by fresh hot turkey sandwiches and mashed potatoes for dinner.

I think I've found a secret weapon against chemo weight loss - mashed potatoes and M&Ms.

(Smile)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank God for good news. I really needed to read this. Truly a breath of fresh spring air.