Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hooray! Not Much to Say!

I love boring.

Boring gives me the opportunity to make things not boring, get into something, start something up.

It could be some artwork, maybe mess around with the camera, maybe write a little, maybe work up a little business mailer. It could be a little project in the house, or outside the house. It could be anything.

I like boring days.

Plus boring typically means that I'm feeling alright and not active in maintaining one of the million and one side effects from the chemo, or off to a doctor's office to get stuck with needles or slid into machines.

Boring is good.

We finally replaced our bird feeder, and filled it full with bird food and hung it in it's designated location Tuesday. It's supposed to be squirrel-proof, and pretty slyly closes up when an animal of too much weight jumps on it.

The old feeder took some damage from the two squirrels that call our backyard home. A couple times they swung on that thing until they made it fall to the ground, and then it was feast time, followed by clean-up feeding from the local morning doves.

When we first moved into this house, the backyard was a disaster area - completely a disaster area. The whole yard was covered with a couple of years of debris. I painstakingly worked the yard over until it at least looked habitable. We did some planting, spread some mulch, and the neighborhood noticed the improvements.

Last summer is just a blur to me. All I can say is thanks to Barb for keeping up with it.

But now moving into Spring I'm planning on restoring my masculinity by mowing my own lawn. Mowing the lawn is a tradition stepped deep in male culture. I believe it was just as important for the first cavemen to keep a tidy lawn to rank well in the male elements of local societies.

And my lawn is overcome with moss. Moss is everywhere, streaking down the yard, killing grass in its wake.

I have to address this. I bought some stuff. I hope it works.

Our yard is kind of like a little forest, and there is lots of shade. The shade and moisture does cause a lot of the algae and mildew and moss to form. But I also have some problems with water run-off that isn't helping.

The idea is to kill the green stuff, buy a pressure washer and blast some away, and rake all the dead stuff to the trash pile. Then I might look into a rain barrel to collect water rather than dumping it all into one area of the yard. The water from the rain barrel then can be used to water plants. And finally I need to seed and baby the grass back into deep roots and a thick lawn.

Wish me luck. I don't exactly have a green thumb.

I was at my cousin's house in Bethlehem once and his wife had all these great indoor plants in one large grouping. I asked her what her secret was. Just as she opened her mouth to answer my cousin entered the room and said, "When plants die we just buy more." LOL

No comments: