Wednesday, April 16, 2008

No More Spa for Freckles

Our kitchen sink started dripping a few weeks ago. Beyond that crevices and cracks were starting to erode the faucet itself.

Hard water plus cheap faucet equals potential big mess.

It was time for a new faucet.

So, although my to-do list was gigantic yesterday, and I've got plenty of activity cascading forward till today, I only put one thing on my list today - replace kitchen faucet.

I've replaced it once before. I don't think there is a more uncomfortable place in the house you can work. On your back, the edge of the cabinet digging into your back, you have to access up behind the sink, navigating the couple inch space with tools.

We started this morning early. First we wanted to rip out the old one and get ourselves familiar with the current set-up. That took a couple of hours, not too bad considering one fussy shut-off valve and some extra-tight bolts.

Then it was off to the hardware store. I knew walking in that Barb had the better eye to pick out this fixture. It didn't take her long, a dark rubbed bronze faucet with separate spray and a built-in soap dispenser. That's right a built-in soap dispenser.

It looks good. I like it.

We got everything back home and spent almost another two-hours installing the new faucet. All in all, it really went a whole lot better than I thought. But we're not putting anything back under the sink for 24-hours until I feel good about it. lol

As we were cleaning up Freckles showed up downstairs after a nap with a big "MEOW." I looked at him and said, "Sorry buddy, your personal water works is closed."

To both of our amazement Freckles thought the old, drippy faucet was the best thing in the world. More and more I would catch him jumping up in the sink and letting the water drip on him from the leaky faucet. You'd go to pet him and there would be a wet streak down his back.

He knows the punishment for getting caught in the sink is even more severe than the punishment for getting caught on the counter. So he knew what he was risking for his joy of dripping water.

But with the new faucet, the kitchen sink spa is REALLY closed for Freckles. Hear that Freckles? Freckles?

No comments: