Monday, March 10, 2008

Too Much La-Z-Boy

I guess all the blogging on the laptop from the comforts of the La-Z-Boy have taken its toll. Yesterday the AC adapter cord frayed and wore through. Somehow the laptop recognized this event and pronounced my AC adapter dead upon starting up the computer.

But that still leaves two other computers in the house. At one time we had five, but that was getting a little ridiculous.

I just got off a support chat conversation with Dell. They are going to replace it for free since it's less than a year old.

I chatted on line with a customer service representative named "Harpartat." You guessed it. Dell has virtually all of their customer service based in India now. This morning went pretty well. But that's hardly always been the case.

What jobs do we still have in the U.S.?

I know that there are some online free-lance sites where people can hire graphic designers now. And most of those graphic designers are from Pakistan, India or Brazil, and they offer to work for peanuts. Once I used one of those sites to hire a web programmer for a small project. I didn't trust going abroad though and hired someone from a more trusted Seattle.

Are we teaching kids how to farm out work to third-world countries in school now? I think we better be because that seems to be all that we do anymore.

Right now my brother is in China on business. It's unclear what his company's exact goal is. Anyone care to guess?

Well it's Monday so I have to shake off the cobwebs from a nice, relaxing Sunday. Barb spoiled me by making a whole chicken roaster with her famous mashed potatoes, gravy and a vegetable. That meal fills me up like no other. I think there's magic in those mashed potatoes.

I've got to get my questions together for the oncologist tomorrow. The appointment is at 8:30 a.m. so my brain can't be trusted to remember everything I want to discuss. I almost always type up a list of discussion points before a doctor's visit. Some docs like it, some don't. My family doctor just chuckles and says, "Everyone should do this!"

It's another Monday off and running in Marietta.

No comments: