Sunday, March 9, 2008

Important Visit

I had my first opportunity to visit my Granny (my mother's mom) in a care facility yesterday. It seemed as though yesterday she had been doing fairly well. She has come so used to my mothers cooking that she has a very low tolerance for the food she is served there. When Jim and I went to my parents house yesterday she had homemade chicken noodle soup and chicken salad sandwiches ready for lunch.

She took the same over to my Granny and she ate pretty much everything that had been offered to her including a small slice of chocolate cake and fruit salad. I needed to see her to let her know that I have been thinking about her alot and to remind her how much I love her. My family has never been afraid to show their true feelings. It was also time I needed to spend with my mom.

I think I needed the visit with her, just as much as she did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was really good to see you both and i know granny appreciated the company. by the way, your umbrella is at my house, so you can come for another visit or i'll bring it over at easter if not before.
mom

Anonymous said...

Granny's are very important people so hold onto your granny for as long as you can. I never knew a granny or a grandfather because they lived way up in the boonies of Canada and getting there presented quite a challenge when I was growing up. When Jimmy was 14 I took him, my mother, Karen and Doug up to those boonies to meet my grandmother for the very first and last time. She was in a nursing home by that time but was absolutely delighted to see us. I have no doubt she was a wonderful person but I must admit I hardly knew her. I am very glad we made that trip because 3 weeks later she passed away at the age of 95. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times I saw her in my life. I feel a great deal of sadness about that. I think I might have met my grandfather only 2 or 3 times in my life. So, hold on tight to your love for your granny and all your family. MOM #2

Anonymous said...

PS -- When Jimmy arrived home, she sent me a baby card with a Canadian dollar in it. It is part of his baby book now and will always be a beautiful memory of her.