Saturday, March 22, 2008

Proving We're Not Terrorists - Day 6

We only wanted to open a simple business checking account. Stop in at the bank, transfer some funds from one account to this new account. Sign a couple papers. There 'ya go.

There we went, right out the front door, told that we have to prove that we're really a business and not terrorists trying to launder money around the world.

I was really only thinking about getting a sign made up for the front of the building. And the business account just plain old helps us track expenses much more effectively.

This headache, we're all told, is the result of the federal Patriot Act.

How do we prove we're really a business? Well the bank wasn't very good at understanding that part of it. This morning we're going to stop in again and we're bringing everything: state sales tax license; a letter from the borough and the local tax collector; business cards and stationary; an invitation to visit our Web site; driver's license; social security card; and my Goofy Goober Ice Cream Club membership card just to make sure.

Jeesh, we have borough officials waiting to call if all of this stuff doesn't work.

Talk about a bunch of silly red tape.

I have done some research. I used to love libraries, just so much to see and read and so little time. Now my library is on the computer and the internet. No wonder I like the computer so much, my own personal library at my fingertips.

According to the provisions of the Patriot Act, a general partnership of husband and wife can be treated as a sole proprietor, and only needs a social security number to begin banking.

Our bank is real good with the provisions of the Patriot Act and how they apply to different structures of business. Not enough, according to our bank, we need more.

But what?

They're not sure.

Graphic Arts is not a licensed business in PA or any state. We don't use a fictitious business name, our surname is part of the business name so we don't have to. I didn't need a prenuptial agreement to marry my wonderful wife, and I certainly don't need paper work drawn up for our business partnership.

So what do they want?

They're not sure.

We're going in this morning with everything, absolutely positively everything. I might take baby pictures.

Considering all the non-sensical hoops we're being asked to go through, it makes me think. Are the terrorists winning? I feel less free.

No comments: