Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Strength in Differences

For all intensive purposes my Mom and Dad really shouldn't be with one another. They're so different in so many ways.

But what my Mom and Dad have taught me, through watching them my entire life, is that differences can be strengths if you allow it. With the right perspectives, with mutual respect, and trust, differences can be the best thing of all. The skills my Mom may lack, my Dad fills in for. The skills my Dad may lack, my Mom fills in for. It makes them a formidable team, complete in many ways.

They probably don't even realize how they've taught me this important lesson through my life. I don't think they've consciously realized this through the years, although they very well may have. But it certainly has left an impression on me.

How different the world could be if we all took our differences and turned them into strengths, instead of excuses to butt heads over.

I've always embraced differences in ethnicity, culture, background, perspective. Quite frankly I'm thrilled that our next President will likely be a woman or an African-American (even though I'm not too thrilled with the candidates themselves). Overall, to me, that diversity in perspective in that office is long overdue.

Why am I not to thrilled with the candidates themselves? Well they may be different in appearance but they still come from the same "old boys' club." Clinton pockets money from lobbyists she swears to stand against, including a gratutious position on Wal-Mart's board. Obama has made a mini-fortune representing slum-lords in Chicago. They're all already in Washington, all already in "the club."

They may claim to be bringing fresh perspective to Washington. But, c'mon, I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. I'm not fooled by a nice speech. It's all more of the same. I want a REAL outsider, a farmer, a banker, a candlestick maker, anyone who's truly outside the current games of today's politics.

It's a commonly held belief that things like racism occur through ignorance, a lack of understanding, thus fear, of another culture. But, using the example my parents have set their entire life, I embrace differences. With an open mind, these differences make me broader, wiser, stronger.

Barb and I put these philosophies to work everyday. She is so great at things that I am so terrible at, and vice versa. I'm intimidating, purely by nature and not by intent. People do not approach me, or try to start a conversation. Barb is friendly, very approachable, and everyone loves to interact with her. So we make that difference a strength. Most of the time Barb represents us with her kindness and courtesy. And, every now and then, the big mean guy needs to step in and read someone the "riot act."

Yesterday, at the bank, was a prime example of how together, combining our differences, we're so much stronger than if we'd be apart.

All we wanted to do was open a simple business checking account. But because of the Patriot Act, we were told, opening the account was anything but simple. We had to prove that we were really a business and not a terrorist organization setting up to launder money. But, they couldn't tell us how we needed to prove it.

Talk about frustrating.

"What do you need to see?" I asked.

"A business license," I was told.

There is no such thing. Sure, if I was opening a barber shop or a nursing home I would need to seek a license from the state. But the state has no licensure of graphic artists.

"Well what's that paper from the state people hang up in their businesses?" I was asked.

"That's the sales tax information for the business. Do you want to see that?" I asked.

"No that's not acceptable," the bank representative said. "You can use the fictitious name paperwork."

"We don't have a fictitious business name. Our last name is part of our business name," I answered.

"Oh," she said. "How about a license from Marietta?"

"Marietta doesn't have licenses," I answered, shaking my head and really frustrated.

Now, after a dizzying dispute, after the bank rep calling the main headquarters (who refused to talk to me directly), I let the bank have it.

"Tell me specifically what you need and I will bring it to you. But don't tell me to bring you things I don't have and will never need."

The entire time Barb kept calm, smiling, reassuring, keeping the bank personnel feeling good about us.

Me? I left the bank personnel shaking with nervousness and confusion, leaving my mark behind. I don't get riled up often, or easily, but when I feel like I'm butting heads with idiocy, well I let everyone know.

And this is ridiculous. If I was looking to launder money to the Middle East I would have no problem filing for a fictitious business name for a couple hundred bucks. How does that prove that I'm a legitimate business?

I called the main office of the bank immediately, recounted the situation and demanded answers. The verdict? We have to get a letter from the borough stating that we are a genuine business and not a terrorist organization - all because of the Patriot Act.

Barb, the nice one, called the borough office. The borough office, a bit confused, said that we should probably contact the borough's zoning officer. Messages have been left with the zoning officer who may get back in touch with us over the next couple weeks, and I'm confident that he'll be thoroughly confused by this request.

Combined, pulling our differences together will be our strength, and we'll get a simple business checking account open - someday.

No wonder business is dwindling in America. I'm consistenly amazed by how much innane things, how many useless hoops, businesses have to jump through.

But, as I've learned through watching my parents my entire life, combined Barb and I will use our differences to be our strength, and get things done.

No comments: