Tuesday, March 25, 2008

First Taste of Music

I don't remember whether it was 3rd or 4th grade, when I was first introduced to making music. One morning we took our seats in the classroom in Myerstown Elementary and everyone was handed a white, plastic, tube-like thing that was filled with holes - the flutaphone (pronounced "flute-a-phone").

It was a mini-recorder. A little flute like thing. And it sounded terrible.

When I ran this memory by Barb her face lit up and she exclaimed, "You mean the Tonette!"

I thought it was interesting that she had the same introduction to music, at the same age, just under a different name.

Did everyone have this thing? Do they still have these things?

We practiced a lot. But the practice didn't help a lot. We stank. In all honesty I don't think it's possible to make sweet sounding music on one of those plastic little flutes.

The flutaphones didn't sound good period, and we were a bunch of 3rd graders with no sense of rhythm or pace, some blowing into the thing harder than others, some playing the notes with their fingers different than others.

Way in the back of my mind, I can still somehow remember a recital we performed for all of our parents. I can almost hear the awful, whistling sounds of our grand performance.

My Mom did a great job at making sure I had exposure to everything. And where the flutaphone left off my Mom picked up and kept my music education going.

There was about three-years of piano. You know, she'll disagree - but that's why she's Mom - but I was really awful. In all honesty, I was a young kid, bursting with energy, and I just wanted to be outside, running around, ripping my jeans, riding my bike. i didn't want to be sitting inside, in front of a piano, "plink plink plank plink."

But looking back, I do greatly appreciate it. My Mom was super at getting me a taste of everything so I could find the things in life I most enjoy - which became basketball, soccer and art.

The piano ended and along came the French Horn - yes, the French Horn.

With 4th or 5th grade came the introduction of "band." I think everyone had to participate at first. I wanted to play the drums. My Mom insisted that any idiot could play a drum, and she happened to have a French Horn . . .

French Horn it was.

Can you imagine carrying this thing on the bus?

I just couldn't purse my lips and make this thing work. I tried. But it wasn't there. In the years to come the French Horn faded and my days of making music were over.

Today I love listening to music. The TV is mainly there to watch sports. I could listen to music all the time, and often do.

My Mom had a huge collection of music, and just about every recording from every Broadway show produced. She never wanted kids who were planted in front of the TV all day, everyday. But she played music. And as we grew old enough to work the stereo we played her records too.

I think the flutaphone, the piano lessons, the French Horn, and my Mom's general affection for music was the foundation for my appreciation for music today. Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course you were good on the piano. You played Henry the Cat at your first recital and a duet with the son of a friend of mine. As for the French horn -- well maybe that is best left in the past somewhere but you can't beat the experience. You actually marched in the elementary and middle school bands so I guess you were fair enough to get that far. You probably can still pick out middle C on the piano so it was not all in vain. With the French horn, you faithfully hauled it back and forth on the bus and practiced so I really thought you were doing OK until one day I saw your band director and asked him how you were doing. He told me you had quit the band with my permission many months earlier. You can just imagine the looks on both our faces at that very moment because it was now May and you were still hauling the horn back and forth and not going to any practices. Boy did we change that in a hurry. Mr. Shultz personally took you under his wing and gave you lessons. It is funny now but not so funny back then. However, it is a wonderful memory. In 9th grade after the Hallowe'en parace, we finally conceded that you were never going to make it to the Philadelphia Philharmonic so we let you off the hook. Karen and Doug picked up where you left off only Karen did manage to do quite well on the E flat clarinette and tenor sax. It was a wonderful experience all those band concerts. Doug did the best of all with piano and not bad with the French horn but Karen really did terrific with the sax. Maybe I should have pushed a little harder but the experience is all I really ever wanted and you can only do that while you are young. In your realm of musical education, don't forget the Lawrence Welk programs -- Karen has never forgotten and sometimes I call her up on a Saturday night and hold the phone up to the TV for old times sake. Right now I am enjoying the 40's on the satellite radio -- great songs. Love Ya MOM