Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Staying Busy

The last few days a rash started breaking out on my face. I figured it may have come from me cleaning up the backyard or possibly from sorting through some window hardware down in our basement. And I figured it would pass.

But it seemed to be spreading. So yesterday I had enough and placed a call into my oncologist's office. He called me around dinner time yesterday and asked me a couple dozen questions. He concluded that the chemo I'm on was causing the rash since I had stopped taking the steroid.

The doctor recommended that I start taking the steroid again, at a minimum level. He expected that the steroid would start managing the chemo side-effects again like it had previously, also helping the fatigue, the nausea, the sensitivity in the hands and feet, all of the wonderful chemo side-effects.

He did not feel that the Decadron steroid would have a negative effect on the effectiveness of the Sutent chemotherapy.

I'm going to give it a whirl and hope for the best.

Today Barb and I are off to meet with the neurosurgeon. We really don't expect much from this appointment. It's just to ensure that I am actually recovering from radiation treatments to the brain, and I certainly am.

Radiation to the brain is a rough go. It left me tired, foggy, dizzy, and uncoordinated. I'm very clear in the head now. It was a slow evolving process but everything healed well. I still do not have the coordination I once had. I was pretty smooth for a big guy and still rode bike regularly and played tennis with Barb. But I fear permanent damage to the brain may have taken those things from me now.

That's one thing I'll talk to the neurosurgeon about today. And it's something I continue to work to try to improve. Barb often says how she misses playing tennis together. I miss it too. I don't mean to be sexist, but many gals can't keep up with me on the tennis court. But Barb can. The harder I hit them at her, the harder she hits them back.

Next week I'll have a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis on Monday. Then I'll meet with the oncologist on Thursday after the scan to discuss the results and the effectiveness of the chemo after the first three months of use.

Between doctors' appointments we continue to paint the two living rooms in the house. They are very close to being done.

My Dad is expected to be transferred to Spang Crest Manor in Lebanon today. I take the fact that Hershey Medical Center is ready to release him as good news. But he certainly has some work ahead of him. Hopefully he can get the physical and mental support he needs to work his way back.

My Mom has been a real hero at being with him and working with him to try to recover from all of this. She has been by his side constantly, directing traffic, and overseeing his care. It hasn't been easy. Certainly she feels the pains my Dad feels as well - we all do.

If you get a chance to offer prayers or support to my Mom and Dad during this difficult time I would greatly appreciate if you would. The smallest gestures truly can mean the world.

No comments: