Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Here We Go Again

With the chemo that I've been on since January, it's four-weeks on chemo and two-weeks off. Then it's four-weeks on, and two-weeks off. Then it's four-weeks on, and two-weeks off. Well...you get the picture.

Yesterday was day one back on the chemo. I also stopped taking the steroid completely late last week. I can tell today my body is going through some adjustments.

I've been stiff, sore, sick, and just plain old exhausted virtually all day today. The doctor gave me some pills for the nausea. They work, kind of, a little. My appetite is gone and my stomach is sour and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all the weight I gained is again lost.

He also prescribed me Ritalin. Yes, that drug that is used to settle overactive kids down. This really blew my mind but he explained to me that Ritalin works the opposite on adults as it does on kids.

Did everyone know this but me?

Well the Ritalin does give me a little, boost of energy, kind of, a little, for an hour or two.

The frustrations with my health insurance provider have never ceased. If anyone else ran their business like they do, they wouldn't be in business. I would sum up their business philosophy like this - just hold a gun to his head every month and demand money.

My monthly premiums alone have doubled in less than three-years. Everything you hear about what health insurance shouldn't be - they are.

Last time my Mom saw me the first words out of her mouth were, "You need a haircut!"

Well I got one this morning Mom. I think you'll approve.

I now have a purple mohawk with orange streaks through it. It was Charlie's idea.

LOL - Just kidding.

Since we already traveled that far over into York County we decided to stop in and bother Alyssa at work. I walked past her four times and she never noticed me. Then I stood virtually right beside her for about 30-seconds before she finally flinched, saw me, and smiled.

I got to give her this, she was really focused on the clients she was working with.

After getting my hair cut by Charlie, and pestering Alyssa while she was trying to work, we drove a few blocks further and stopped in at another furniture store.

This was our fifth stop at a furniture store in our ongoing pursuit to replace some really dated and worn furniture. This time we saw some deals we couldn't refuse and actually made a purchase. It amazes me how large of a price range there is on furniture. My philosophy has always been, throw out the high price, throw out the low price, and start working with the prices in the middle.

I may have been born at night. But it wasn't last night.

We found a great, over-sized, over-stuffed, leather club chair for $250. And we laughed hysterically as we left a store whose average price for the same type chair was $3,000.

No comments: