Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Now What?

I really wanted to get out in the yard yesterday. I don't know why. I guess I feel Spring coming on. The trees are budding. The flowers are sprouting. The birds are swirling from tree to tree in the backyard.

But it was too darn cold. Cold enough to get the nose running after 10 minutes working outside. It was a bright, sun-shiney day. But too cold.

Today is going to be wet, damp, rainy and cold. Tomorrow will be more of the same. It looks like Thursday will be the day for me to get out there and clean up the yard.

Barb and I are going to take advantage of the rain to travel. We're off to visit with my Dad today. We've gotten up and down reports. From eating well to not eating well, from feeling pain to feeling no pain, from being in good spirits to feeling low, the reports have really run the gamut.

If we have time after visiting with my Dad, Barb and I are going to hit some furniture stores.

I already have my line prepared for when the salesperson attacks us.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes," I'll answer with a big smile. "I'm looking for a great deal."

It will take awhile to convince the salesperson that I am serious and I am willing to walk out empty handed before we're shown the best bargains. But it's worth it. I'm pretty darn happy with the big, overstuffed club chair we found for cheap.

An old friend passed away yesterday - Harry Kalas, the long-time announcer for the Phillies. Of course I have never even met Harry, but he sure seems like a long-time friend nonetheless.

I know that he wasn't looking too good as of late. Even last year I was wondering if it was time to retire. But then I knew that Harry loved what he did so much that he would probably never retire. I assumed he would pass away at the ballpark someday. That's exactly what happened yesterday.

I listened to Harry my entire life. Growing up I would fall asleep many, many summer nights to Harry and Richie Ashburn calling the Phillies' games on the radio. We've lost a handful of great announcers in recent years. But in my opinion none was as great as Harry.

"IT'S OUTTA' HERE! MICHAEL JACK SCHMIDT WITH A TOWERING HOME RUN!"

No comments: