Thursday, April 16, 2009

You Never Know

One thing I've learned on my cancer and chemotherapy journey is that I never know what kind of day I'm going to have until that morning when I wake up.

It's completely random. One day I'll feel good and be full of energy. The next day I can barely get my butt out of the La-Z-Boy.

It makes planning impossible. I try my best to be organized and keep up with a schedule. I think I do pretty well with getting things done, all things condsidered. I just never know whether I'm going to feel good while doing what I've planned, or feel lousy.

Today was one of those feeling lousy days. I felt lousy pretty much from the time I woke up. It's a typical feeling lousy day. I'm incredibly fatiqued, both physically and mentally. And my stomach is riding the rollercoaster, feeling lousy and quenching any appetite I might typically have.

Cancer and chemotherapy are crazy. Along with the feeling different everyday aspect, I seem to have a different spot on the body, anywhere from head to toe, that will be sore everyday. Everyday it is a different spot on the body. It can be the side of my head. It can be the sole of my foot. Today it was my left calf.

(shrugging shoulders)

To top things off this morning my eyes went "wonka" for about an hour this morning. It happens occasionally, primarily right after I get out of the shower. When my eyes go "wonka" everything is blurred and my eyes become very light-sensitive.

Just another one of the benefits of cancer and chemo.

No matter how poor I felt today, there were things I just had to get done with Barb. We skipped our planned trips to the butcher and the grocery store yesterday because the weather was so miserable. Today it just had to get done no matter what.

Fortunately Barb bought me a sweet stick (a stick of smoked sweet bologna) at Groff's and that boosted my energy enough to get through the grocery store. The store was full of insane people as usual. But we made it through with out too much trauma.

Barb had a sweet stick too.

We had a local guy in to plan his install of central air in this old house. I try to work with local folks as much as humanly possible. I really do believe in the village concept and want to support that concept. And when you're working with someone local, you know that they want to keep up their local image.

The central air is just plan necessary. I can't do the five or six window air conditioners anymore, or beg someone else to do it for me. Plus the window units are noisey and unproductive, freezing one area while missing others. The central air should be more efficient on electric costs as well.

We'll see. Work will start in two-weeks. We'll roll the dice and see how I'm feeling by then, could be great, could be lousy. 'Ya never know.

No comments: