Friday, February 15, 2008

Is it Spring Yet?

Well I broke out of my two-day hibernation yesterday to make a Valentine's Day trip to the butcher and the grocery store. Yep, I'm a real romantic.

I had to chuckle at all the men in the grocery store, grabbing last minute flowers and boxes of chocolate.

From single-digit temperatures to snow and ice storms, the past couple days have been a winter wonderland.

On our trip to the store yesterday we saw a sawed off telephone pole and a barn that evidentally had a car drive into it. For me it was evidence that my two-day hibernation was a good choice.

"But you have four-wheel drive?!?!?" people say.

Yep, but that only helps me not get stuck somewhere. It doesn't prevent the chance of simply hydroplaning into a telephone pole. And boy did we have ice.

Our sidewalk out front is brick pavers. I've learned that the brick does not heat up in the day's sun and help melt snow and ice quite like cement does. Barb and I have both attacked our sidewalk with ice melt and various shovels. But it's been tough.

This is the time of year that I officially become tired of winter and start really thinking towards Spring. Enough is enough, I think to myself. I want to feel the breeze blow through open windows and across the house. I want to see the Earth come back to life, the trees budding. I want to see Freckles visiting with squirrels on the deck through the screen door.

But I shouldn't rush time. It will be here soon enough. In the meantime I need to wake up and take advantage of every day. I've got plenty on my plate.

No comments: