Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Healing Power of the Laugh

Every now and then Barb or I will accidentally do something that seems so silly that we both suddenly, and uncontrollably, break out in laughter.

We laugh so hard it hurts.

And as soon as we think we're controlling the desire to laugh, in an instance we catch each other's eyes and we're off into a laughing fit again.

It is silly, and often times it's really not that earnestly funny. But something, occassionally touches our funny bone, and we're bent in two from laughter.

I've always been jealous of people who have great laughs. I mean great, big belly laughs that roar through a room and are completely contagious. Such big belly laughs that you just can't help yourself but to smile, if not join in the laughter.

I have no laugh. I mean I'm laughing inside and smiling. But mostly I open my mouth and a little air escapes and that's my laugh. It always has been.

But I've known people with good laughs, great big laughs. Laughs I wish I had.

But audible laugh or not, funny is still funny. I've always said that life is serious enough, don't be shy to be a little silly and have a good laugh.

Smiles and laughs can do a lot for the spirit and the soul.

A few weeks ago I pulled off a sock as I was getting ready for bed. Barb and I, for some reason, both happened to look down at the same time as the sock flew off, and there it was. A big fuzzy piece of the inside of my sock had attached itself to my big toe nail.

It's really not that funny. But it both of our funny bones the same way, at the same time.

We calmed down, kind of, in 10 or 15 minutes, our side's splitting but with a sense of warm healing power rushing through us.

Barb's been watching me take off my socks regularly in hopes of an encore. No encore has appeared as of yet.

But silly is always just around the corner. Laughter is the best medicine.

No comments: